This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The body positivity movement has skyrocketed in the recent decade, propelled by Tik Tok and other social media sites. According to Very Well Mind, “body positivity refers to the assertion that all people deserve to have a positive body image, regardless of how society and popular culture view ideal shape, size, and appearance.” There are a few goals associated with the body positivity movement including challenging how society views the body, helping people build confidence and acceptance of their own bodies, and addressing unrealistic body standards. Body positivity is not just about challenging how society views people based on their physical size and shape, however. It also recognizes that judgments are often made based on race, gender, sexuality, and disability.

The body positivity mentality was created to teach people to accept and love their bodies, no matter their shape, size, or color, but it can be a struggle to live up to these new standards of loving yourself, when one has grown up in a society with other toxic body standards. Telling people to ignore the clearly expressed beauty ideal isn’t realistic. A person who is already feeling devalued may feel even more pressure to accept their deemed “flaws” and get a positive attitude which can then lead to shame and guilt.

So what can you do to be more body positive? 

Try Health-Focused Self-Care. Self-care can be used to change or control your appearance, but that is not its point. Self-care should focus on things that make you feel good in the body that you have. Think healthier, not skinner. Eat healthy meals because it fuels your mind and body, not to lose weight. Exercise regularly because it helps gain strength, not because you’re trying to look “toned.” 

Wear Clothing You Look and Feel Good In. Clothing can be the most detrimental to a person’s body image. Each body type looks different in types of clothing, so by choosing clothes for the body you have now—not for a sought after future version of yourself— you’ll help see your beauty. Look for items that make you feel confident. 

Make Your Social Media Inspiring NOT Conforming. Purge your social media of accounts that focus on a “perfect” body, where you constantly compare yourself to others. Instead, follow accounts of topics that focus on your interests (I personally follow lots of bunny accounts because they make me feel happy). Also try following body-positive accounts that are inclusive of all body types, shapes, colors, genders, and abilities.

Adopt Body Neutrality. Body positivity doesn’t come easily or overnight. It can take months of dedication and positive thinking to become comfortable in your own skin. It’s ok to not necessarily love everything about your body and to feel neutral or even indifferent. Your worth and value do not lie in your shape or your size or in any other aspect of your appearance. Stop focusing on how you look and try to base your self-perceptions on other parts of yourself such as your personality, your work ethic, and your involvement in your community. Now, this is not easy of course, but with continual effort, you can begin to see the beauty inside yourself which will then translate to the beauty outside yourself. Of course, there will be times when you feel weak, when you dislike aspects of yourself, and when you compare yourself to others. The key is to keep trying to find new ways to avoid the negative thought patterns that contribute to poor body image and focus on other positives, whether it be your support system or other aspects of yourself like how you are doing in classes or at work.

No matter if this movement speaks to you or not, understand that people come in all shapes, sizes, colors and abilities. It is important to love the body you have, because you are not going to be gifted a new one. There is no such thing as “perfection,” so continue to grow, learn and embrace yourself because you are unique and you are beautiful.

Hello! I am Nicole Poirier and I am attending Cal Poly SLO as a first year. I have extensive background in the media industry. I have completed an internship with my local 92131 Magazine as a writer as well as an internship with the NBC 7 Media Academy. I was a part of my high school newspaper for three years and was the Editor in Chief. I love traveling, volunteering with shelter animals and spending time with my dog Lola at home. I have earned scholarships from the Scripps Ranch Women's Club as well as from the Scripps Ranch High School counseling department. I hope to share some of my story with you though each article I produce. Enjoy!