Life > Academics

9 Ways to Have A Little More Fun During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

1. PREPARE

Finals can be super stressful but by being aware of how much time you need to commit to each class, when each final is and how you’re going to study for each test can relieve much of that stress. I would say plan way in advance. Cramming is never the answer, but usually is what ends up happening for some. This quarter we have a whole week break right before finals, take advantage of this and get started on your studies. Your future self will thank you!

2. Make Studying Fun

Studying is often a drag but by doing with a friend or maybe a cute guy or girl in your class, it can be fun. But it’s important to make sure you’re not just distracting each other. If you find it hard to study with other people, try studying in a different environment. Try maybe heading out to the Cal Poly Arboretum for a cool new study spot.

3. Take Fun Study Breaks

Don’t try and cram for all your tests at once, you need to take breaks or else you’ll burn out. Try going to your favorite coffee shop or take a drive out to the beach at sunset. Those little things can sometimes do the most to help relieve some of that finals stress.

4. Enjoy Not Having Class

Finals are low-key awesome because all you do is take tests that week, no two hour lectures or three hour labs, just tests. Some of which may be multiple choice and probably not take you three hours, leaving you with so much more free time, so try and enjoy that!

5. Plan Something Awesome for After Finals

You probably are most looking forward to getting home and sleeping in your own bed once your finals are over and that could be your something awesome. But maybe a road trip with your friends or a camping trip or even just a new hike you’ve never done can also be something to look forward to. Give yourself something that will motivate and excite you to get through your finals.

6. Treat Yourself to Some Fun Study Material

Get yourself some new stationary, awesome pens or colored flash cards. Honestly, anything that might make your studying a little more aesthetically pleasing can also make studying a bit more bearable.

7. Make Your Studying Fun in a New Way

Try writing a song to go along with your notes, making a killer study playlist, taking a dance break when you need it, turning your doodles into notes, studying while you’re at the gym or really anything. It’s crazy how making your notes stand out more in a weird way can make them more memorable in your head.

8. Take a Moment to Feel Solidarity of Struggling with Everyone

A great part of finals week is the feeling of togetherness. Everyone is studying, struggling, stressing, lacking sleep and it makes you feel a little more okay. The best part are the memes that resurface every finals week. They bring a smile to your face because they’re funny and #relatable. So during your studying or procrastinating remember we are all struggling, you are not alone in this.

9. Realize that Finals are not Everything

Take a second to put your life into perspective. Yes, finals are important but they are not the be all and end all of your life. If you don’t do as well as you hoped, you will survive. You can always retake classes and that is not the worst thing in the world. Don’t let finals stress and anxiety ruin you, you got this and even if you don’t it’s okay.