Desk flatlay?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk flatlay?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

7 Ways to Maximize Productivity While Working From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Whether it’s college classes or professional obligations, coronavirus is forcing millions of us to telecommute. These tips will make it a little easier to adjust and maximize your productivity during the pandemic. 

Wake up at a reasonable hour

It can be hard to feel productive when you roll out of bed past 10 a.m. Try setting your alarm earlier. For example, if I don’t have early obligations, I set my alarm to 9 a.m. on weekdays. Use the extra time before you start classes or work to catch up on the news, watch a couple Youtube videos or go on a quick morning walk. You’ll start your day refreshed and energized!

Start your day with a hearty breakfast

Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. No need for a fancy spread, but make sure to get in a nutritious breakfast to get your day started. My go-to is avocado toast or a berry smoothie. 

Get. Dressed.

Changing out of your pajamas is the key to feeling productive. There’s no need to wear anything fancy, some cute loungewear or your comfiest jeans will work. Maybe even hope in the shower to really wake up if you’re feeling wild.

Create a clutter-free work space

Make sure you’re set up in a tidy corner of your home with plenty of room for a workspace. This is the hardest part of working from home for me– turning my bedroom or living room into a home office– but it’s also one of the most important steps to make sure you’re in grind mode.

Draft a realistic to-do list for your day

Jotting down a to-do list will make you accountable for completing your obligations, but it can be fun too! Include more than just deadlines and assignments for school and work! For example, penciling in a phone call with your mom or a Zoom happy hour with the girls can make your to-do list fun. 

Take exercise and snack breaks!

One of the perks of sheltering in place is that you’re more or less on your own schedule. Frequent breaks can help you be more productive and energized throughout the day. Take advantage of this and squeeze in a quick workout in between meetings. My favorite is this full body workout that’s under 20 minutes.

Don’t beat yourself up if you’re not overachieving

Finally, don’t put pressure on yourself to overachieve during this national pandemic. Taking care of the health of you and your loved ones is the best thing we can do for one another. If you’re lucky enough to be able to explore a new hobby or launch a new project during your quarantine, that’s great! But, we don’t all have that privilege. So, remember that taking care of yourself is your only obligation.

This transition online is unexpected and difficult, but we’re all in it together. Working from home may be frustrating, but these tips and tricks will help you add some new activities to your routine to keep you on  top of your tasks! We can still be productive while sheltering in place for our communities!

Olivia McDonald

Cal Poly '22

Olivia is a feature writer for Her Campus Cal Poly. She is a second year student studying Philosophy and Ethics, Public Policy, Science and Technology. When she's not writing articles, you can find Olivia practicing yoga or dancing around her apartment with her roommates!