This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Social Media is something most of us use quite often. Although the apps were originally designed to share with friends, many have morphed into places to keep up to date on current events, follow the lives of public figures, and find content related to our various interests. In case you’ve been looking for some accomplished, positive, brilliant women to add to your feed, this list is here to support some women who have been killing it. 

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie @chimamanda_adichie

Known for her incredible writing and inspiring TED Talks, Chimamanda Adiche is one woman on Instagram who always seems to be doing incredible things. If you haven’t seen it already, I suggest watching her TED Talk: Why We Should All be Feminists and give Adichie’s Instagram a look. She’s constantly flying back and forth, giving speeches and showing off an incredible array of Nigerian designers. I personally can’t wait to see what this inspiring woman has coming up in the new year.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez @aoc

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez came on the map after starting her political campaign in 2018. Cortez is known for being outspoken, hardworking, and inspiring. Since being elected into office, this reputation hasn’t changed. If you’re looking to stay informed on current issues, her Instagram is a great place to start. Following such an intelligent, dedicated person is always inspiring, and AOC fits that description perfectly.

Mayim Bialik @missmayim

Actress, neuroscientist, writer, director, and so much more! Mayim Bialick not only is incredibly accomplished, but also has a fun Instagram page that keeps you wondering, what will she do next? Whether she is going to charity events or posting behind the scenes photos on set, she’s always smiling and working hard on her next big project. Truly a woman who can do it all, Mayim deserves all the admiration for her hard work.

Farah Alibay @trifarahtops

If you’re looking for a woman in STEM to liven up your feed, may I introduce you to Farah Alibay, NASA scientist working on a rover for Mars. Not only is her feed full of cool updates on her NASA projects, she also posts breathtaking photos from the different hikes she goes on. Between working on incredible projects and visiting beautiful places, Farah’s IG will inspire you to get to work and have a little fun!

Stephanie Beatriz @stephaniebeatriz

From her role on Brooklynn Nine-Nine to her collaboration raising funds for The Trevor Project, Stephanie Beatriz gives us a lot to admire her for. Her honesty and dedication are what I personally admire her for, but the actress has much more than those qualities. Whether you love her in her on tv or are just looking for someone new to follow, Stephanie is sure to never disappoint.

Lizzo @lizzobeatings

For anyone who needs a dose of self-love goals in their Insta feed, Lizzo is the one to follow. Aside from her accomplishments in the music industry and her boss sense of style, she is often posting photos with captions reminding us to love, forgive, and support ourselves. Right now, she’s nominated for a plethora of awards, including 6 NAACP Image awards, 8 Grammys, and 6 iHeart Music awards, making her upcoming year even more successful than her last!

Dr. Jenn Hardy @drjennhardy

If you’re in need of some hard truths when you’re not being your best self, this is the Insta to follow. Dr. Jenn Hardy posts little reminders every day to reflect, let go of things weighing you down, and focus on personal growth. No matter where you are in your journey, it is always good to get these gentle reminders to take a step back. If you’re needing a specific type of motivation, she has hundreds of posts to scroll through and peruse until you find what you’re looking for. Her page is definitely going to come in handy as we all face the new year.

No matter what we are looking for from social media, we are always our strongest when we love ourselves and support one another. The internet is full of inspiring, wonderful, accomplished people who we can look up to and this is just a short list of a few to get started with. If you have someone you think is incredible and other’s should give them a follow, leave their handle down below!

Jasmine Janisch

Cal Poly '23

Hello! I'm a first-year biomedical engineering student at Cal Poly. Although I'm in a STEM field, I still love to write which is why Her Campus is a great place for me!