7 Major Questions You Have When Thinking About Getting a Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Thinking about getting a tattoo? I bet you have a million questions running through your head. Tattoos can be a beautiful and unique decoration on your body if they’re done right and allowed to heal properly. Getting a tattoo is also a lasting commitment – so you have a big decision to make! But you’re not the only one thinking about getting a tattoo, so read some common questions that you’re not alone in thinking:

1. How much does it hurt?

Of course, almost everyone who has a tattoo says they hurt – but the question is how much does it hurt? Will I be able to silently grimace through the pain, or will I burst into tears the moment the needle hits my skin.

In other words, is getting a tattoo the pain level of re-watching the Twilight movie series or seeing the ending of The Fault in our Stars?

2. What tattoo design should I get?

Wondering whether to get a tattoo includes the eternal struggle of deciding on a design. You finally pick something you like, but then 6 months later you hate it. If you get a tattoo, will you still like it in 10 years or will you have some regrets?

Related: 10 Quote Tattoos to Inspire Your Inner Goddess

3. Where should I get the tattoo on my body?

Deciding on the tattoo location might just be as hard as deciding on the design. Do you want it in a place that you’ll see every day, or somewhere more discreet?

4. What if people don’t like it?

Honestly, this question has crossed probably crossed your mind, usually in fears of an overly opinionated family member or friend.

Tattoos are basically art you carry on your body, and it will be art that you personally find attractive. There will be those who don’t like it, but really, who cares about the haters anyways? Your body, your tattoo—opinions not wanted.

5. How expensive are tattoos?

If you’ve learned anything from researching tattoos, it’s that prices vary, usually having direct involvement with the quality of the tattoo. College students aren’t known for having a lot of money, but a tattoo is an investment that will last a lifetime—so that’s worth it, right?

6. What if I don’t get the job because of my tattoo?

The fear of tattoos being viewed as inappropriate in the workforce has been instilled in us from a young age, but as they say—you are the future.

Related: Tattoos & Piercings in the Workplace

7. Will my parents actually hate me?

Yikes, this is a hard one. Either show them your new tattoo and face the parental wrath, or do a good job at hiding it when you come by to visit.

I know you’ve heard this before, but getting a tattoo is a major decision! It will become a part of you, permanently. Once you think over the major questions you have about getting a tattoo, and you still really want the tattoo – trust your intuition!

Meghan is a third year Anthropology and Geography major at Cal Poly.