7 Fun Video Workouts for a Rainy Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Is El Niño ruining your outdoor workout plans? Or are you just not feeling that trek over to the gym, just so you can get on the elliptical? Instead of setting your exercise plans aside, why not harness the power of YouTube and do some video workouts?

Video workouts are great for anyone who hates doing the same boring routine at the gym or anyone who wants to try out a new exercise (like yoga or kickboxing), but doesn’t want to jump right into a class full of experts. Best of all, they can be done in the comfort of your own room, and what’s better than that?

Here are six videos to get you started, ranked from easiest (1), to most energy intensive (7). Some of these videos require a yoga mat, but other than that, all you need is a positive attitude and some clothes you don’t mind getting a little sweat on.

1. 20-Minute Calorie Scorcher That Even a Beginner Can Do -POPsugar Fitness

If you’re new to working out, or if you’d like a refresher on some simple exercises, check out this video! There are modifications on every move for low-impact or gentle alternatives. Just because these moves are simple to learn, it doesn’t mean you’ll get through this 20 minutes without breaking a sweat!)

1. Morning Yoga – Energizing Morning Sequence- Yoga with Adriene

This intermediate yoga sequence is perfect for easing into the day ahead. Say “goodbye” to feeling sluggish, because this practice will strengthen your entire body in a relaxing, yet energizing way.

1. Abs Cardio Workout: 30-Minute Kickboxing Cardio Abs Full Length No Equipment- Jessica Smith TV

If you’re new to kickboxing, this is the video for you! This core-centered workout is more low-impact than most, but it’s still going to make you sweat. BONUS: a cute dog makes an appearance, so don’t miss out!

1. Sleek 15min body sculpting barre workout -Sleek Technique

Remember the days when you wanted to be a ballerina when you grew up? Well, here’s your chance to fulfill that dream (sort of).  Barre is a ballet-inspired workout with lots of small, pulsing motions and elegant, strengthening moves. The exercises in this video may appear simple, but you’ll be surprised how tired your legs and arms get after a few repetitions!

1. 30 Minute Intermediate Full Body Workout – Head to Toe Torcher – GymRa

If it’s one of those days where the last thing you want to do is exercise, don’t settle on the couch… try out this video! Rebecca Louise is super motivational throughout the entire sequence, and because each unique exercise is only 12 repetitions each, these 30 minutes will be done before you know it!

1. 30 Minutes Cardio Kickboxing- Joanna Soh

Are you ready to take your kickboxing game up a notch?. This full-body workout has two rounds with 12 exercises each. Whatever you do, don’t give up after the first set!

1. Ultimate Fat Burning Cardio Workout 45 Minutes with Natalie Yco- Gym Ra

This is NOT a light warmup!  Natalie takes us through 3 cardio-intensive circuits with 2 repetitions each that will leave you exhausted by the end of the video. Get ready for lots of high-impact exercises that strengthen and get your heart pumping right from the start.

Whether you’re a beginner, or an old pro, there’s a workout video out there for everyone. Exercise doesn’t have to be boring or embarrassing. So get off the couch, grab yourself a bottle of water and start moving!

Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.