This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Choosing a college major can be intimidating- there are so many options and it can be difficult to know which one is right for you. Many people do not know what career they want to have in the future, so it can be difficult to choose a subject to focus on. It is completely normal to change your mind about what field of study you want to focus on. In fact, it is actually common for college students to change their major at least once.

Here are a few signs that you should change your college major: 

You Cannot Pay Attention in Your Classes to Save Your Life

If you are sitting in core class for your major and find yourself online shopping every two seconds or scrolling through your Pinterest boards, this could be a major sign that your major is not right for you. If you are not enjoying your classes, why are you taking them? If you have no desire to engage during lectures for your major courses then maybe it’s time to look into some other ones.

You Want to Try Something New

Perhaps since the ripe age of six years old, you have always wanted to be a doctor. Maybe you always thought that this was your path, but then when you got to college, you found yourself being interested in other subjects such as journalism or computer science. It’s okay to explore other interests- in fact, it’s better than working toward one thing for so long, only to realize later in life that this is not your passion. It can be rewarding and enjoyable to step out of your comfort zone and explore different subjects and potential careers. 

It Feels Impossible to Succeed in Your Classes

If you spend countless hours preparing for your classes and your grades are not reflecting your efforts, this may be a sign that you should switch to a different major. It is not worth it to continue to take major courses that you make feel stressed and discouraged more often than not. It’s okay to struggle sometimes, but make sure that the challenges you are facing in these courses are worth overcoming. In the end, it may suit your skills better and give you a breath of fresh air if you try to pick a new path of study. 

You Only Picked Your Major to Make Big $

Some people want to live comfortably enough to buy a Lambo or Prada bag in the future. It makes sense to desire a career in which you can make the money to indulge in these things. If you only picked your major because you thought it could help you land a job where you make some big bank, this may be the reason why you should switch. It is important to have a job that sustains you in life, but it is also important that you love that job. Do not sacrifice your talents and passions for money because in the end, you may not only lose the cash, but you just may rob yourself of being happy in life. 

You’re Just Not Feeling It

Sometimes, you have to listen to your intuition and go with your gut. If your heart is telling you that this major is not right for you, have some faith in yourself and take the leap to trying a new major. You may find that it will be the best decision you ever made in college.

If you make the choice to love what you are learning, you may just find your perfect future career. It is important to soak up the wonderful opportunity to explore courses that interest you. By delving into a subject you are passionate about, you will enjoy the process more and make the most out of your time at college. If you find the signs above relatable, have faith in yourself and don’t be afraid to change your major!     

My name is Emily Quesada and I am a junior at Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo. I am a member of Alpha Omicron Pi and I have a passion for writing, playing guitar, singing, reading, and working out. I am a Political Science major with a concentration in Pre-Law and Journalism and my dream is to become a lawyer in the future and defend women's rights. In my free time, I love to play softball and tennis, blog, go hiking, surf, listen to Taylor Swift songs, go to the beach, and hang out with my friends. I am also a proud Starbucks barista with a strong addiction to coffee. My catch phrase: "Everything happens for a reason!"