This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

In many ways fashion has taken a rewind, and many of the current looks we love draw inspiration from past decades. 90’s and early 2000’s television and movies not only gave us classic features, but also some of the most fashion forward characters whose style is still in trend today. 

Rachel Green, Friends

Rachel from Friends not only worked in the fashion industry on the show, but she also gave us some of the most stylish looks that are still relevant today. She was the “It Girl” of 90’s and early 2000’s television, and her outfits can still be easily recreated. She gave us a style range from sweat pants to cocktail dresses. Some of her looks that would still be considered trendy today include: a mini skirt with a long-sleeve top paired with tights, a flannel or vintage pullover, graphic cropped tee with mom jeans or plaid pants, mini dresses with tall boots, and denim overalls. 

You can recreate this look by wearing a simple crop top or long-sleeve paired with a mini skirt and denim jacket. Sheer black tights and tall boots will also make this look. 

Ashley Banks, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air 

While Hilary Banks may have had more of the statement fashion looks on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, there is no doubt that Ashely’s style got progressively better throughout the seasons with outfits that remain trendy. Her looks had a fun teen spirit look about them, but also remained chic and stylish. One of her most remembered looks from the show is a red off the shoulder long sleeve paired with a black mini dress and her classic knee high socks. Some of her other trendy looks include her purple tie front blouse with her matching purple mini skirt. 

You can recreate this look by wearing a tie front or cropped blouse with a pair of jeans or a skirt, paired with a cute belt. If you want to go for the skirt look, try a pair of knee high socks to really channel Ashley’s style. 

Cher Horowitz, Clueless

Cher had the 90’s closet of our dreams. Whether she was sporting a classic plaid suit skirt, a white calvin klein dress, or even her cute but sporty gym class look, Cher never failed to give us serious style envy. While we might not have a technology advanced closet to pick out our outfits for us, Cher’s looks in Clueless give us the perfect style guide. Her preppy and chic style was very fashion forward and is still inspiring fashion 25 years later.

You can recreate this look by wearing a plaid skirt or dress paired with a preppy sweater or simple top layered with a sheer blouse. Accessories are also a necessity, and Cher normally wears small earrings and a statement piece necklace. If you really want to channel your inner Cher, top the look off with a cute beret like the one she wears in many looks throughout the film. 

Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City

As far as television characters go, Carrie is probably the queen of fashion. Carrie taught us many things in Sex and the City, but one of the most important was how to be bold and confident in fashion. Whether she was dressed for brunch, work, or a night out, Carrie never failed to make a style statement. While her outfits remain trendy, she never failed to be unique to her own style whether it was an oversized button down turned into a chic dress or the iconic tutu skirt. She was, and still is, the fashion girl of our dreams. 

If you’re going for a more casual look, you can recreate this look with a tube top paired with cargo pants and a fun statement necklace. If you want to dress for a NYC night out, try a bodycon dress with a clutch bag and simple heels. You can also go all out by sporting a classic Carrie tutu style skirt and chic blazer.

Sabrina Spellman, Sabrina the Teenage Witch (1996-2003)

While Sabrina may have been known more for her witchcraft than fashion, looking back at the show, we can definitely draw inspiration from some of her looks today. Her outfits included a lot of velvet, sheer, and flowers. Most of the time she wore a dress or skirt, layered with a sweater or sheer top. Some of her best looks include the deep blue velvet dress and her white flowery dress with matching sheer tie front top. We may not have Sabrina’s powers, but we can definitely have her style. 

You can recreate this look with a turtleneck layered with a mini dress and tights, or a sheer tie front blouse layered with any combination of top and jeans, or skirt, with a cute choker. 

Gillian is a fourth-year at Cal Poly SLO. She is majoring in Psychology and minoring in Child Development. Gillian is the Social Media Director and a writer for Cal Poly Her Campus this year. She enjoys writing about sustainable fashion, social issues, and current trends. Even though she is planning a career in psychology, she loves being a part of Her Campus because it allows her to have a creative outlet and continue her passion for writing.