5 Little Ways You Can Perk Yourself Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

By this point, we think we’ve all come to realize that college is no easygoing inner tube ride down a lazy river. It’s more like a giant waterslide. One that is filled with unexpected twists and turns that you never seem to be prepared for. Of course, it’s still fun; who doesn’t love waterslides? But regardless, you don’t scream for joy when you inevitably get water up your nose or when your back gets scraped up from the plastic slide.

In college, and in just about every other aspect of life, you will have good days and bad days. It’s simply the way of the world. Sometimes the bad days can seem never-ending, and all you want to do is cuddle with your favorite stuffed animal and shovel spoonfuls of Nutella into your mouth. However, if you can somehow manage to resist the temptation of that chocolatey goodness, there are a few different things you can do to help brighten your day.

1. Go Outside

Now, we know it may be a challenge to close your laptop and step away from Netflix for a while (trust me, we can relate. #NewGirl), but replacing electronics with some time outside can help to clear your mind and give you a more positive attitude. Imagine feeling that warm sunlight on your skin and a cool breeze whisking through your hair, soaking in the vitamin D that we all need and enjoying the smell of fresh air and nature. Doesn’t that sound delightful? So whether it is a trip downtown to your favorite coffee shop or simply a walk around the block (or one of these awesome SLO hikes), getting some outdoor air can clear up those negative thoughts clouding your mind.

2. Exercise

If the thought of running for fun might makes you cringe, don’t worry, you’re not alone. But let us tell you that there is no better feeling than sweating out all of your stress through exercising. Exercise is one of the most beneficial things you can do for both your body and your mind. It can increase your endorphin levels, causing you to feel happier and more relaxed. You don’t have to go run a marathon or anything like that, but a light jog around your campus or a pickup game of volleyball with friends will help you feel much better.

3. Do Something Nice For Yourself

It’s been a hard day, a hard week maybe, but look—you made it through! Treat yourself to a little something nice because you deserve it. Maybe you’ve had your eye on a cute pair of boots in a store window (buy them) or you really need a manicure because you’re nails aren’t looking too hot (get one). It’s important to reward yourself for just being you sometimes, because you are awesome.

4. Do Something Nice For Others

Take a second to think back to the Golden Rule that we all had implanted in our brains throughout elementary school, “Treat others as you wish to be treated.” We all know that everyone has bad days, so a small act of kindness towards another person can go a long way. Something as simple as giving out a compliment or telling someone how much you appreciate him or her can turn a person’s whole day around. How does this benefit you? We all like to feel good about ourselves. Doing something nice for other people can lead to increased feelings of confidence and  higher levels of self-esteem. So the next time you see someone walking around in a cool shirt or with a rockin’ hair-do, go ahead and let them know.

5. Smile

This is by far the easiest thing you can do to help boost your mood. Literally turning your frown upside down can trick your brain into thinking you are happy even if you really aren’t. Whether it’s smiling at a stranger, your friend or at yourself in a mirror, you will immediately begin to feel happier and those negative thoughts will start to disappear. If you want to take a different approach, it also helps to open up Photo Booth on your computer and snap some funny pictures of yourself or with friends (we recommend the Chipmunk filter). You will get a new Facebook profile picture out of it and forget about whatever was bothering you. It’s a win-win. Ok, although maybe not the profile picture part.

So next time you’re feeling a little bit down, remember that it doesn’t take much to bring back the happiness you deserve. 

Gabby is a fourth-year Marketing and Statistics student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She's currently the Marketing & PR Director for HCCP, as well as a writer and editor. Her passions include consuming unhealthy amounts of coffee, idealizing her life on Pinterest, and all things breakfast-related.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu