5 Herbs You Should Be Using (And Why)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Not only do herbs add aroma and flavor to recipes, they are also nature’s medicine. Many contain anti-inflammatory properties, which help with pain relief and detoxification in the body; anti-microbial properties, which help rid the body of pathogens; and anti-cancer properties, which get rid of harmful free radicals in the body. Here are five herbs that will enhance the flavor of your meals and heal you along the way!

Oregano

This herb is an overall tonic for the body, meaning its health benefits are both varied and numerous. For example, you might think of it as just a “pizza spice,” but oregano aids in your body’s fight against bacteria and is rich in Vitamin K. Got a cough? Oregano also helps to soothe respiratory problems. It’s an anti-inflammatory and possesses anti-microbial activity, which fights “against common food pathogens,” according to registered dietician Sharon Palmer. This herb pairs well with the yummy tastes of Italian and Mexican cuisine. Try adding a dash to tomato pasta sauce or black bean soup.

Rosemary

This herb can be used to aid hair growth, reduce inflammation and help digestion. In addition to these properties, it has anti-microbial properties, anti-cancer action and “aromatic effects linked to pain relief and mood improvement,” according to The Plant Powered Diet by Sharon Palmer. Throw some fresh rosemary in a veggie stew to take advantage of its delicious flavor and healing properties.

Thyme

Thyme helps the digestive process along and soothes coughs and respiratory irritation. It is also a natural anti-septic (meaning it kills bacteria) and has anti-fungal properties. This herb is also an “excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, manganese, copper and dietary fiber,” according to www.whfoods.com. This micro-nutrients will keep you going through the stresses of mid-terms and finals, which are typically huge threats to your immune system. Try adding thyme to a lentil salad. Throw some arugula, red onion and olive oil in, too!

Cilantro

This herb is an anti-inflammatory with anti-bacterial properties that also helps to detoxify the body. Because it lowers blood sugar, it has been suggested cilantro has anti-diabetic qualities. Plus, you might not be worrying about your blood cholesterol levels yet, but if you include a little cilantro in your diet, you may never have to: according to the World’s Healthiest Foods website, this herb potentially lowers cholesterol. Try making homemade guacamole by picking up local avocados from farmers and add lemon, lime, salt and pepper, and fresh cilantro. Yum — as if you needed another excuse to eat guacamole.

Basil

Like the herbs mentioned above, basil also possesses anti-inflammatory properties. It is also nutrient-dense, containing cardiovascular-supporting vitamins and minerals. As if this weren’t enough, basil is an antibacterial. Like Purell for your body! Make a pesto sauce with fresh basil and spoon it over some whole wheat noodles.

Unlike milkshakes or buttery popcorn, herbs not only taste great, but make you feel great as well. Add some to your diet and take advantage of all they have to offer! Just like Mother Nature made.

Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.