5 Apps You Need to Clean Up Your Life This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We’re not sure about you, but as soon as the winter bite starts to subside and warmer weather is on the horizon, we are suddenly inclined to redesign and reorganize our lives. The phrase commonly associated with this frenzy is the annual “spring cleaning” in which most people use the reappearance of warmer weather to get their life together.  To help out with the need to declutter, we found five of the best personal apps to help you through the Spring Cleaning season.

1. Evernote

This wonderful app is everything you didn’t know you needed in a notes app. Evernote extends farther than the typical iPhone or Android notes apps—it gives you the ability to verbally make notes or set reminders, take pictures of documents and save them as notes. You can share them with others, and create “notebooks” or categories of notes that are similar. Furthermore, the app even has a widget in which you can save articles or posts from the internet into the app.

2. ToDoist

Firstly, this application is sleek in style yet simple in its’ use. Todoist allows you to create tasks for everyday necessities, whether it be repeated daily needs or one-time reminders. However, this app distinguishes itself by allowing you to filter the tasks by priority, label, or filter. You can schedule yourself due dates and times along with subtasks within a larger project. Every task automatically saves to an “inbox” where everything is contained which is helpful if you don’t know how to categorize it. Plus there’s tons of cute themes to choose from black to tangerine to everything in between.

3.  TimeTree

This calendar makes Google Calendar cower. Not only are you able to keep track of everything, but you can create multiple different calendars, share them with friends and family as well as view one calendar at a time—perfect to ease the overwhelming feeling when looking at everything you have going on.

4. Google Drive

We all know Google and the myriad of apps that they advertise. However, the Google Drive app has been the one Google-based service we continuously use and love. All you need is your login to your Gmail account and every document, slide presentation or spreadsheet is at your fingertips. It is incredibly helpful when you need to reference something, edit on the go (without your laptop, of course) and mirrors the same layout as the desktop version.

5. Breathe

Though this is not considered a “Productivity” app, everyone needs a little mental break now and then. This sweet application allows you to “check in” with yourself; what is your mood? How’s your mental health? How’s your physical health? Then, it gives you recommendations for short meditation or breathing exercises to help you relax. Moreover, the app teaches you how to mediate if you so desire, or simply explore different sessions of various lengths — from 3 to 7 minutes. In the busy nature of life, everyone could use a minute to simply sit and breathe sometimes.  

These apps can help you take control of the stress, and beat the clutter that you may be feeling after winter quarter. The best part of these five apps? They’re all free!

All images via Giphy

Taylor Eldridge

Cal Poly '21

Taylor is currently a second year (junior) student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo majoring in English with a minor in Psychology. Besides HerCampus, many of her interests are diversified; she is either exercising, listening to music (probably both, simultaneously), or spending time with my family and friends. Taylor is also a part of the Fitness & Nutrition Team through Campus Health & Wellbeing.