Wellness > Sex + Relationships

4 Reasons Why It’s Okay to Need Space From Your S/O When You Go to the Same University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Don’t let the word ‘space’ scare you; it can be a good thing!

You Need to Explore Your Own Interests

It is okay, and actually healthy, to have a life separate from your significant other. My boyfriend is an Environmental Engineering major and I’m an English major. We are polar opposites in that regard, so it only makes sense that we’d have different interests. He wants to join the Triathlon Club, whereas I prefer clubs that allow me to express myself creatively. He loves to run, and I’d rather hop on a spin bike. Taking time to figure out how you enjoy spending time outside of your relationship is vital. You shouldn’t have to hold off on trying new activities or clubs just because you’re in a relationship!

You Both Have Your Own Sh*t to Do

It is inevitable that you and your partner’s schedules will not always align. Your mornings might be totally open and theirs will be jam-packed with classes. Depending on your majors, your work and the amount of it, will differ from theirs. Even though it’s tempting to want to study with your significant other so you can kill two birds with one stone, studying with them can be pretty distracting. It is totally okay to not see your S/O everyday even though you go to the same school and they’re a five minute walk away. Sometimes, you two need to do what’s best for you, and take care of schoolwork on your own.

You’ll Meet More People

It’s easy to slip into the comfort zone with your S/O and unknowingly block yourself off from potential new friends. I get it. Why should you put yourself out there when you already have someone to spend time with? The harsh reality is that you might not always want to hang out with your partner and they may not always be available to hang out. I’m a firm believer in the idea that your friends fill certain needs that your partner might not always be able to. When I want to go shopping and buy overpriced coffee at a cute cafe, I hit my best friend up, not my boyfriend. There’s nothing wrong with seeking new friends while you’re in a relationship!

You’ll Have More to Talk About

I find that when I spend a few days apart from my S/O, he always has so much more to tell me than when we’ve seen each other everyday for the past week. Not only does spending some time apart strengthen your relationship and build trust, but it also makes the time you do spend together that much more exciting. If you always try to perfectly align your life to your partner’s with the goal of spending the maximum amount of time with them, things will only grow stale and even suffocating.

Alex Perez

Cal Poly '24

I'm Alex and I'm a first year English major. I hope to pursue a career in law while continuing to write for an online publication. When I'm not in class or writing, I like to spend my time running, hiking, and painting. My formula for happiness is takeout Thai food plus Sex and the City!