This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

San Luis Obispo, along with many cities across the country, is in shelter in place due to the COVID-19 pandemic and finding fun, new things to do around the house has been a challenge for thousands of people. Since I was coming home from living on campus, I took this as an opportunity to do all of the things that I couldn’t do while living in the residence halls such as, watching cable tv, petting my dog and baking every recipe I always wanted to try. So, if you’ve been looking for a way to pass the time or perfect a new skill while hanging around the house, here are a few great recipes to try!

Overnight Cinnamon Rolls

Since I’ve had an abundance of time on my hands, I’ve been looking at recipes that take a little longer than ones I would usually try. I mean, why not? We’ve got plenty of time!  One morning treat I’ve always loved is cinnamon rolls and this recipe from @acozykitchen is just perfect! Plus, if you aren’t a fan of cinnamon, the author of the blog has a bunch of fun variations on her blog including pumpkin-cinnamon rolls with maple frosting and chocolate-orange morning rolls. No matter what flavor you’re looking for, these rolls can become the perfect sweet start to your morning!

Gluten-Free Brownies

Whether you’re gluten-free or simply wanting a great brownie recipe, this one from @glutenfree.followme is incredible! Not only is it super easy to make, but brownies are very customizable! You can add in extra ingredients like chopped nuts or extra chocolate chips or you could even turn them into sundaes with some ice cream. These brownies are a great recipe to try and make the house smell amazing!

Chocolate Oat Bars

For those who like a treat but have dietary restrictions, may I introduce these vegan and gluten-free Chocolate Oat Bars! They’re simple and made from great ingredients. The blogger @plentysweet200 explains how to make them in this Instagram post. Of course, vegan baking often uses ingredients that you may not have around the house, but many of these ingredients can be substituted such as the nut milk for soy or regular milk! If you’re looking for a great recipe to try that is healthier than the average treat, you should definitely give these a try!

If you’ve been looking for new things to try during this shelter in place period, make sure to give these recipes a try! If you try any of these sweet treats make sure to tag us on Instagram @hercampuscalpoly so we can see your tasty creations! Staying happy and healthy during this time is crucial, so make sure to take time to relax with one of these goodies.

Jasmine Janisch

Cal Poly '23

Hello! I'm a first-year biomedical engineering student at Cal Poly. Although I'm in a STEM field, I still love to write which is why Her Campus is a great place for me!