15 Signs You’re Doing Your Senior Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Remember that project that you’ve been brainstorming for your entire college career? Well, this is it. You’re finally doing your senior project, the infamous creative reasearch project all students complete over one quarter to a whole year. No matter what you chose to do, the struggle…oops, the process…is universal. Here are some of the signs you’re doing your senior project. 

1. It’s week four and you haven’t done crap.

2. You told yourself that you’d get a head start on your work over summer so you wouldn’t die during the quarter, but here you are, dead. 

3. You have an endless note on your phone full of nonsensical, late-night ideas you know you’ll never use. 

4. You’ve sent your advisor with the causal subject line, “Help.”

5. You have your advisor’s schedule in your planner, so you just start showing up. Unnanounced. All the time. Defeated.

6. But after you meet with them, you get a burst of inspiration and type like crazy for a few hours.

7. You have general, vague regrets.

8. You’ve stalled in giving acquaintances any information about your project to the point that they may actually doubt whether or not you’re doing it at all. 

9. When people ask to read what you have so far. 

10. When those same people ask when you’re going to be done. 

11. You chose your advisor because they’re amazing and you wanted to become best friends with them. 

12. You’ve done all your research, but once you start trying to put it together, you can’t physcially do it. 

13. You get to that point during Week 9 where you’re almost finished and you feel like you’ve narrowly excaped being buried alive. 

14. And then, it’s 3 a.m. and you put that final touch on your project.

15. But, when it’s over, you realize how proud you are of both your finished product and of yourself.  

Even though your senior project may one of the hardest things you’ve done in college, or in life, there’s no doubt that it’s a huge accomplishment. It’s something to be proud of. So good luck seniors! We know you can do it. 

Hunter Laningham is a fourth year English major at Cal Poly and her life never ceases to be interesting. She enjoys listening to rock music, writing various readable things, and spending time outdoors, primarily in forests. Hunter recently returned from an unexpected journey much like Bilbo's which, funnily enough, actually included a dragon. She loved her time in Central Europe and even made it to Iceland, but she's always happy to be back in SLO. Hunter is currently working on her first novel and hopes to finish it before she's 100. Catch her on campus, downtown, or on a mountain and strike up a conversation. She's friendly but shy, so just hold out your hand and talk softly and she'll come to you.