Why Random Roommates Don’t Always Suck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

You’ve spent all summer agonizing over who your random roommate might be. You were going to be mortal enemies, long lost soul sisters, or simply two people living under the same roof. You crossed your fingers that she would have similar cute room décor, and there would be an unwritten rule that if it fits then you can wear it (of course with her permission, and if it matches, though). And then, move-in day finally arrived.

You pushed open the door to your new home and were excited to finally see the girl you had stalked on social media all summer standing before you. Your parents helped unload all the random junk that you were so sure you were going to need, said their tearful goodbyes, and that was it. You were officially living with a complete and total stranger. Maybe the two of you had exchanged a few awkward Facebook messages, or texted about majors and coordinating comforters, but that’s probably about it. Your first conversation is bound to be a little uncomfortable as the two of you try to feel each other out. And then little by little you begin to realize how compatible you are. She’s the one who reminds you when you have class because you can never remember the difference between your Monday/Wednesday/Friday and your Tuesday/Thursday. Grocery shopping becomes a breeze because you both know exactly what the other likes and dislikes. You help each other draft the perfect texts to boys, and always get approval before posting your next Instagram picture. If one of you goes on vacation, they’ll always bring back a souvenir for the one that stays home. In the rare occasion that one of you goes out without the other, people immediately ask where your other half is. When you spend practically every waking minute cohabiting with someone, you get pretty close.

Where I’m going with this is, don’t get freaked out by the word “random”. Having a random roommate has honestly been such a blessing. This person has no idea who you are or where you come from, and you know nothing about them. Getting to know someone so quickly by having to live together is really challenging, but so much fun. And you get to learn so much about yourself in the process. Not to mention, you have someone who is going through the same transition as you and knows just as few people as you do.

So, thank you roomie, for being so awesome. Whoever your roommate is, whether you like them or not, go give them a hug. They put up with your crappy attitude after your eight a.m.’s, listen to you cry about missing home, laugh about your crazy night the morning after, and never refuse to go with you on late night food runs. And, if you don’t have this bond, I hope this inspires you to give your roommate another chance. Thank you roommate for the endless laughter. You’ve become one of my closest friends and I’ve been so lucky to share our tiny shoebox of a dorm with you. There’s a lot ahead of us, and I’m looking forward to every bit of college with you by my side.

xoxo,

Your Favorite Roommate

19. California girl with Southern roots. My favorite things include (but are not limited to) basking in the sun, buying things I can't afford, succulents, and the smiley face with a nose :-) For all inquiries you can contact me at krodgers@callutheran.edu
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!