This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

“Well, aren’t I always being myself? Yeah, for sure. But being yourself is not changing who you are to impress someone else.” -Eighth Grade

New year’s resolutions always seem like a stupid idea- but here is something that we all could work on. Embracing ourselves. It seems so simple, yet so hard. Why is that? For starters, we all have a constant fear that someone will not like us for who we are. In 2019, we say, screw that. In order to embrace yourself for the amazing person you are, you have to love yourself

“Ok, so, how am I supposed to be myself if I think I am not that remarkable?” I am here to tell you, that you ARE remarkable! One thing that helped me embrace myself was to realize that my value is based off of what I think of me and not what others think of me. I have learned that I am my own worst enemy. I had multiple people comment about how I looked and how I acted, but it is my job to either let others words and actions make or break me. Once you start to realize that your best friend and biggest fan should be yourself you are unstoppable.

Photo Courtesy of Pinterest

Are we going to have hard days while on our self love journey? Yes. Remind yourself that you are strong, and you are HERE! You are alive and breathing for a reason. Even through your hard days, constantly tell yourself that you can get through this! You are a strong queen, embrace it. I know at times it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but once you find it, it will be brighter than ever before.

Photo Courtesy of Pinterest

We are ending on a good note. Why is embracing yourself so important? Everyone brings something new to the world. You may not see it, but your personality and originality is important to everyone around you. Remember that this is YOUR story. YOU are the author. Let’s take back our own lives this year. Even if it is starting small, tell yourself that you are original and remarkable in the mirror before you start your day. Try taking the long way to class to get more exercise in, or even try cracking that joke in front of your friends. Love you for who you are.

Photo Courtesy of Pinterest                                                                                                 

Elysia Williams

Cal Lutheran '22

HI! My name is Elysia but you can call me Sia for short. I am a leader of Delight Ministries at Cal Lutheran and a writer for Her Campus. In my free time, I am usually with my friends or family making memories.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!