We Are Diggin’ Amanda Roberts!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Name: Amanda Lynn Roberts

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Grass Valley, CA

Major: Exercise Science

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: Why did you choose Cal Lutheran?

Amanda Roberts: “I initially discovered Cal Lu through volleyball when I was recruited by my coach, Kellee. After we had spoken a few times she asked me to come check out the campus, the area, and obviously the volleyball team. As soon as I arrived on campus, the community and family vibe was undeniable. Everyone that passed by me was so friendly. Growing up in a small, tightly knit town, this friendliness immediately reminded me of home. I couldn’t help but feel drawn to the atmosphere. I also chose Cal Lu because I’ve always had large aspirations to go into the medical field and build a career for myself. The hands-on learning that I witnessed and knew that I would be getting was motivating and exciting. I was going to be able to build relationships and connections that would help me achieve my childhood goals. I wasn’t sure that it could get much better. The cherry on top was watching the volleyball team play at an extremely high level. I had played on a very successful club team since I was fourteen and always had dreams of playing college volleyball. The coaching staff, as well as the girls on the team, were so welcoming and portrayed inspiring characteristics of determination, competitiveness, and love for the game. Can someone please just pinch me? The idea of my future started falling into place and seeming more realistic than it ever had. I was extremely confident after my visit that I wanted to go to school at Cal Lu. I knew that it was going to be a place where I would thrive both on and off of the court.”

HCCLU: How long have you played volleyball for?

AR: “Since the third grade. I haven’t gotten sick of it yet and I’m not sure that I ever will!”

HCCLU: What is your favorite part about volleyball?

AR: “My favorite thing about volleyball is that it’s such an action packed sport. Something is always happening. You rarely find a person who doesn’t enjoy watching a good game of volleyball. Beyond that, volleyball has always been my escape. It’s the one thing that I want to do no matter how I’m feeling that day. It doesn’t matter if I’m happy, sad, or even angry, volleyball allows me to express those feelings and get me through my day. Of course, it can be challenging and exhausting, but that’s the fun part. As an athlete, it’s exciting knowing that you can always improve and that there is always something to work for. I live for the pressure, the intensity, and the challenge.”

HCCLU: What position do you play?

AR: “I’m an Outside Hitter”

HCCLU: What has been your best game so far?

AR: “I think one of my best games so far has been one of our pre-season matches against Emory. I played that whole game with everything that I had and just took it one point at a time. I danced, I screamed, and I went crazy for every single point that we won. I ultimately just enjoyed my time out on the court and it reflected in my level of play. This season so far has been challenging for me. I’ve battled with an injury and have even allowed my mental game to weaken at times, but every day is a new opportunity to improve. I’m beyond excited to head into this second half of SCIAC with confidence and a strong love for the game. I’m ready to achieve great things with my sisters.”

HCCLU: Tell us about winning NCAA last year!

AR: “Winning the National Championship last year was easily one of the most rewarding and surreal experiences of my life. From the time I was a little girl, beginning to learn how to play volleyball and falling in love with the sport, it had always been a dream of mine to compete at a high level and to win a national title. To have such a lofty goal such as that meant realizing that I was going to have to go above and beyond, challenge myself, fail at times, learn from my mistakes and ultimately just believe in the process. It also meant realizing that I needed not only teammates, but coaches, staff, friends, family, and supporters as well to make that dream come true. I was fortunate enough to choose a program that had all of those things. The journey to that final game of the season was rocky, things were far from perfect, but it was because of the struggles and the love that we all continued to have for each other regardless that made winning that title so sweet.”

HCCLU: What other things do you like to do besides volleyball?

AR: “What other things do I like to do besides volleyball? There are other things to do besides volleyball? Being a student-athlete doesn’t allow for very much free time. It’s all about making sacrifices and doing the things that you know are going to benefit yourself and the team. With that said, being so busy and having to make those sacrifices allows you to really enjoy and cherish the free time that you do get. When I do get that time, I love being outdoors and spending time with my friends or family. I also REALLY like taking naps, so you can catch me either adventuring outdoors or glued to my bed for the day. There’s really no happy medium.”

HCCLU: What is your favorite thing about Cal Lutheran?

AR: “My favorite part of Cal Lu is the relationships that I’ve been fortunate enough to build. I know that they will last a lifetime. I’m extremely blessed.” 

HCCLU: What advice would you give to freshmen?

AR: “If I could give any advice to a freshman it would be to keep an open-mind. College is about discovering yourself, building your future and setting yourself up for success. You have to be willing to explore your options in order to discover what makes you the happiest.”

HCCLU: Any weird talents or interesting facts about you that most people would not know?

AR: “Quoting Step Brothers… if that’s even a weird talent.”

HCCLU: What are your goals for this season of volleyball?

AR: “My main goal for the rest of this season is to take some pressure off of myself and to just play for the love of the game. I’m extremely hard on myself and sometimes it can get in the way. I play best when I’m dancing, cracking jokes, laughing, being crazy and overall when I’m loose. It’s such a privilege to be able to play volleyball and be a part of such a phenomenal program.”

Make sure to go to the next Regals Volleyball game to support Amanda and the rest of the team at home on Friday (10/21) against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps!

Elaine Abarta

Cal Lutheran

Elaine is a Junior at California Lutheran University majoring in Communications. She is currently Publicity Director and Features Writer for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She loves planning events, singing, playing guitar, and spending time with her friends and family. 
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!