This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

With changes underway in White House leadership, women and men alike are coming out to support their fellow females in an uphill battle that started at the beginning of time and won’t come to a stop anytime soon.

Although the recent Women’s March on Washington was a massive global success, opposers to equal rights between genders around the world believe that it was a fluke. A one-hit wonder. That we think our “contribution to this country consists of holding cardboard and demanding free stuff.” (I’m looking at you, Tomi Lahren.) They believe that after the march, we will back down, become quiet and our resolutions of change will disappear.

This is a call to keep standing, shouting and believing in yourself and your fellow women. Read below for a few suggestions on how to continue fighting.  

1. If you are going to believe in equal rights between men and women, that needs to include ALL women. This means that no matter a woman’s race, class, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation, you need to support them. This is known as intersectional feminism. As a white woman, I realize that my race is to my advantage. As a feminist with intersectional values, I recognize that many women with overlapping identities, such as a Muslim or a transgender woman, face a deeper oppression and discrimination due to their complex identities. You must support, help and value all women in order to raise all women up.

2. Actions speak louder than words. Don’t call yourself a supporter of the women’s rights movement and then stay quiet if you witness any harassment or degradation of a woman. Show that you stand with them and help them feel safe.

3. Remember your sisters and fellow women around the world. Child marriage, sex trafficking, illiteracy, inadequate women’s health support, normalized domestic violence and rape… the list goes on and on. If someone tells you that there is no reason to be fighting this fight, pull out any of these reasons. We tend to forget our deep need for feminism spans across the globe. Do what you can to support your women and girls around the world by donating and volunteering with charities that go to global efforts.

4. But don’t forget your women at home. Volunteer locally by reaching out to women’s shelters, children’s places, anywhere that can help inspire and assist women in need. As always, stand up for your beliefs and raise one another up. Create strong bonds and relationships with other women. I think the quote, “there is room for every woman to win” fits well here.

5. Have women role models who are important to your personal beliefs and ideas. Learn about women who may not be advertised or spoken about due to their race, ethnicity, sexuality, etc. There is a world of support out there.

6. A lot of people think feminism means hating men and wanting women to gain power over them. This is the opposite of true. Feminism is wanting equal rights between men and women, but it is the women’s struggle to reach the level men are already at that give it the “fem” root. Hating men is called misandry, and misandrists are not feminists. Feminists support the men that support our fight, and we recognize these people as our own. Explain this to people who are “anti-feminist”, and if they’re still against it after that, they’re on their own.

7. Tell the government what you want. Sign petitions, peacefully protest, explain your beliefs and know your stuff. Here is a start; use this link to send a postcard to your senator explaining what matters to you and the action that you believe needs to be taken.

I am sending my hope, support and love to everyone out there.

My name is Samantha Meyer, but most people call me Sam. I'm a freshman at Cal Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, California. I'm an Interdisciplinary Studies Major, and I hope to teach first grade, become a principal, and write novels. I have a high school background in journalistic writing and photography. You can find me at your nearest Trader Joes or coffee shop, catching up on world news, Cosmo's snap story or just snacking on some quality fruits.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!