This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

With spring break less than a month away, we all deserve to give ourselves an actual break. Ditch the books for a few days and get out and explore!

However nice it may be to fly to Mexico every Spring Break, it isn’t always affordable. To cure my travel cravings, I can always count on a road trip because they’re just as fun and more unpredictable, which makes the adventure even better. 

This spring break, grab some friends and embark on a camping road trip in an amazing spot! Camping is so much fun and isn’t as big of an ordeal as it may seem. There are a few must-have items to take camping, but it is an activity you can prepare for pretty easily. I’m not the most easy going girl out there and even I really love camping and being out in nature for a weekend – you can learn so much about yourself and your new favorite camping destination, and its really refreshing.

My first suggestion for this spring break is Yosemite National Forest. Yosemite is only a five hour drive north-east and has some really spectacular sights. I’ve lived in Thousand Oaks my entire life, so I’m a little embarrassed to say that last October was the very first time I visited this incredible place. And let me tell you, it is seriously incredible – your jaw will drop at the limitless amount of beauty all around you.

I camped in Housekeeping, a campground that has little huts/shacks that have a few beds and room to keep all of your stuff inside; they’re a lot more spacious than a normal tent. These tents were especially nice since it rained a lot when we were there and they kept us dry.

Because there are multiple campgrounds throughout Yosemite, you can almost always find an opening at one of the campsites. There are also a few campgrounds just outside of the Yosemite Valley that are less popular and more accessible on short notice. These are perfect for last minute trips!

Some MUST-SEE spots in Yosemite include: Half Dome (from any direction), Mirror Lake, Tenaya Lake, Vernal and Nevada Falls, Glacier Point, and my favorite, Taft Point.

Half Dome is the weirdest phenomenon and so beautiful to look at. Mirror Lake isn’t much of a lake anymore, but still fun to explore for hours, follow bear tracks, and run around in the trees in this quiet corner of the Valley. 

Tenaya Lake is in the backcountry and outside of the Valley. Driving up and out of the Valley this way was so beautiful! The lake is insanely clear and sits glimmering at a pretty high elevation, resting at the base of enormous sheets of gray rock. 

To get to Nevada and Vernal falls, the trails take you over the river and up the steep rock staircases. But in my opinion, the most beautiful spot in Yosemite is Taft Point. My favorite moment of the entire trip was standing at this incredibly high point at sunset and being able to see all of the beauty around me so clearly and unobstructed. If you want to see the best sunset of your life, go here. I’m not exaggerating, it’s the most beautiful place. 

I seriously hope that you consider visiting Yosemite this spring break! Cal Lu really isn’t that far from the campsite, so load up your car and head out on a grand adventure!

Are any of you Yosemite lovers? Where are your favorite spots?

xx Teigs

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!