Wander with Me: Ojai Falls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Ojai is a beautiful, quiet place with so much nature all throughout. The neighborhoods are tucked away from the streets with houses hidden by the shade of their trees. The rolling hills and the little creeks that run through the ravines are beyond beautiful; you’ll feel like you’re somewhere far from home in this relaxing town. This small, cute area is such a nice getaway!

Ojai is close enough to head out there just for the day. Without traffic, you can get there in forty-five minutes to an hour, which isn’t bad at all. It’s a great alternative if you’re used to outings in Santa Barbara, Ventura, or Santa Monica – it’s a little less busy and more relaxing, making it a nice option if you want to change things up.

The main street in Ojai is really entertaining- there’s tons of little knick-knack shops and art galleries that can keep you busy all day. There are also so many good hiking locations here that are much different from the hiking around TO! Ojai also has an amazing amount of small, local restaurants that are simply to die for; you will surely be eating well on your visit.

One of my favorite hikes here in Ojai is Rose Valley Falls. This is a bit of a drive up one of the mountains farther inland, but the drive is beautiful and has amazing views. The hike is very short and simple – you park at a campsite (called Rose Valley Campground) and it’s only about a mile hike to the falls.

The best time to go here is in the Spring – right now! We went during the summer and there wasn’t a ton of water, but still a steady stream. Get out there and see the biggest waterfall in the Los Padres National Forest flowing down a shimmering hundred foot cliff! It’s so beautiful and there are a bunch of rocks and logs to sit on down at the base, making a perfect spot for a picnic while you take in the pretty falls.

I hope you enjoy the falls as much as I did! We camped at Wheeler Gorge Campground, a really nice camping spot not too far from downtown and all of the stores and restaurants. Such a cute campsite with lots of shade! Rose Valley Campground is another good option if you’re looking to make it a weekend trip and want to stay overnight.

P.S. while you’re in Ojai, if you’re feeling extra adventurous you have to try to find the Matilija Hot Springs! They’re very secluded and highly monitored, but they’re worth it! Let those wandering feet soak for a while in the warm, crystal-clear spring water.

Let me know what you think!

xx Teigs

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!