This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

From: Oxnard, California

Major: Marketing Communications with a Minor in Sports Management and Spanish

Year: 2018

Fun Facts:

– “I love pancit.”

– “I love going to the gym.”

– “I was born in Mexico.”

– “I love lions.”

– “Drake is my favorite artist.”

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: What made you decide your major?:

Danny Chavez: I love communicating with people, starting conversations, marketing, presenting and being on social media. With my minors, I love sports. Growing up I watched and played sports. It allows me to still be involved in sports such as the marketing of a football team which is fun for me and with Spanish, I’m bilingual and it looks really good on a resume and job applications. I knew it needed to be added.

HCCLU: What are you most looking forward to this school year?:

DC: Graduating

HCCLU: What do you think will be the most exciting and scary things about your senior year?:

DC: The most exciting would be building long lasting relationships with friends and people I have grown up with throughout my four years at Cal Lutheran and keeping those relationships after college. The scariest would be graduating and finding a job after graduation.HCCLU: What are you involved with on and off campus?:

DC: I’m a senior RA in Trinity, I play intramural football, soccer and basketball. I’m part of Student Support Services, and I work at Polo Ralph Lauren at the Camarillo Outlets.

HCCLU: How do you balance being a student, RA, and working off campus?:

DC: Being organized with keeping a calendar and planner. I communicate with my bosses, staff members, and professors when I have things going on making it a lot easier. Communication goes a long way.

HCCLU: What does being an RA mean to you?:

DC: Building community. I love to help others out and I love being a resource as well as guiding others to become successful throughout their college experience, in addition to building a home away from home for residence and students.

HCCLU: Why did you decide to attend Cal Lutheran?:

DC: I decided to attend Cal Lutheran because of the atmosphere. The first day I stepped foot here I saw a bunch of smiling people and people were so friendly and I noticed the great community. It all made me realize I belonged here. The class sizes were small which was a great opportunity for me to get to know my professors one on one.

HCCLU: What do you plan to do in the future?:

DC: I plan to become a personal trainer and become a life coach with that. I want to create my own clothing brand, as well as be in the sports world and become an agent for professional athletes.

HCCLU: Who do you look up to and why?:

DC: My dad because I have seen throughout my entire life how hard he works and his work ethic is unbelievable. He never gives up. He has taught me everything I know today.HCCLU: What advice do you wish someone would have given you when you started college?:

DC: To not be scared to take opportunities or chances. Experience new things. Don’t quit. Try things out because you never know what could happen.

HCCLU: What will you miss the most about CLU?:

DC: The people: from SSS, my roommates, professors, just everyone. This is a home for me, I feel happy being here all the time. It’s scary knowing I won’t be here next year or living here. Everyone here makes this place feel like home to me.

HCCLU: What’s the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you?:

DC: When I was in 2nd grade I was at a play at the performing arts center in Oxnard and I needed to go the restroom and I was really scared so I ended up peeing my pants. I peed my pants and I went straight to the swing sets when we got back to try to air it out.

HCCLU: What’s the most important lesson you have learned while being a college student?:

DC: To not give up. If you are struggling with something you should talk to people. Everyone has struggles. Know you have it in you, you just have to find it. Push through. You are going to be okay. Don’t quit.

HCCLU: What’s your favorite quote and why?:

DC: “You miss 100% of the chances you don’t take” because you miss everything if you don’t go out there to take those chances and opportunities. Don’t be scared of failure, experience what you want to do or be.

Leslie Madrigal

Cal Lutheran '20

Hello, my name is Leslie Madrigal. I am a senior at Cal Lutheran double-majoring in Criminal Justice and Spanish with a minor in Ethnic Studies! Besides being a part of Her Campus, I am also the Co-President for the Latin American Student Organization, Vice President of My Generation My Fight, and Secretary for the Criminal Justice Student Association. I work on campus at the Office of the President as well as having an off campus job in retail. And I volunteer for the Safe Passage Program through the Criminal Justice Department.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!