Vegan Options at Starbucks: (There Are More Than You Think)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

When I first tell people that I’m vegan, I always get the same questions:  What do you eat? Was it difficult going vegan?  Where do you get your protein?  Well, being vegan isn’t as hard as people make it seem.  In fact, there are vegan options everywhere, and most people don’t even realize it.  For instance, I am addicted to Starbucks and, as a vegan, you would think I would have to give up my beloved vanilla bean frappuccinos, well then you would be wrong. You can be vegan and still get a ton of things off the Starbucks menu. Starbucks is just one of many places where vegan options are readily found. Don’t believe me? I’ll let you in on Starbucks’ “hidden” vegan menu.      

On those cold days when all you want is a warm drink, there are some vegan options at Starbucks that aren’t just a plain coffee, which are: 

• Vanilla Soy Latte (this one is my favorite!)
  • Toffee Nut Soy Latte
  • Coconut Soy Latte
  • Peppermint Soy Latte (great for the Christmas season)
  • Raspberry Soy Latte
  • Classic Soy Latte
  • Soy Hot Chocolate

Those are just a few to start off with! What’s so great about Starbucks is that with most of their drinks, you are able to substitute their milk with either coconut milk or soy milk. The only thing us vegans have to watch out for are the toppings. For instance, the caramel sauce and cinnamon toppings are not vegan. Some of the more specialty drinks that are vegan include:

• Soy No Whip Mocha
  • Soy Vanilla Rooibos Tea Latte
  • Soy Green Tea Latte
  • Soy Earl Grey Tea Latte
  • Soy Awake Tea Latte

Let’s say you are craving a frappuccino (which is me all the time), Starbucks has a ton of vegan friendly options that include:

• Mocha Frappuccino
  • Vanilla Bean Frappuccino (this is one of my faves)
  • Carmel Frappuccino
  • Coconut Cream Frappuccino
  • Green Tea Frappuccino

Now, I’ve gone on and on about all the vegan drink options at Starbucks but I can’t conclude without talking about food options! As much as I love Starbucks drinks, I am also a food lover.       Luckily for us there are a lot of vegan food options as well! Some of these comprise of: 

• Oatmeal
  • Plain or multigrain bagel
  • Fruit Cup (a classic vegan option)
  • Banana (obviously)
  • Nut packets
  • Dried fruit
  • Kind bars

Being vegan is not as difficult as people make it seem. It opens your eyes to all the other options available that most people don’t even realize exist. Even if you are not vegan, these options are delicious. Maybe you are new to being vegan, or maybe you’re like me and are nervous to eat out because you don’t know what kind of options there are for you. I hope that by sharing all these “hidden” vegan options on the Starbucks menu, it makes being vegan easier and more practical.  Also if you aren’t vegan, try out some of these vegan-friendly options, you might be surprised and find your new favorite Starbucks drink.

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!