This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

The past two weeks have been the most life changing, incomprehensible whirlwind of culture that I have ever experienced in my life. I never imagined the internal passion of diversity that I would have since gained during this semester abroad. I have been on this ride of never ending personal development and external salutations of adaptation.

Backtrack two weeks ago, I sat at LAX, terminal 5 anxiously awaiting my flight. Legs shaking, heart beating, stomach full of butterflies. It had finally hit me, I was on my way to Spain for a semester. All winter break I kept trying to prepare myself for this life altering adventure ahead of me but it never really dawned on me that it was actually set in my calendar to embark on. It was always only a dream- a dream that seemed so distant away. Yet, it never occured to me that it was actually happening, not until I had to say goodbye to my family at least. Tears were definitely present, as well as the embarrassment that occured afterward when I realized we were all bawling in the middle of a crowded airport.

Good-bye for now California

The flight seemed like it took forever yet it was also so quick. What I do distinctly remember is being able to see the sunrise from my window seat and realizing that this new sun dawning is a perfect metaphor to the adventure that was about to begin. I was so excited, and it made me embrace the trials that would also stand before me.

As I sit here typing on my laptop in the living room of my homestay’s apartment, in which I have been comfortably nestled in for about 3 weeks now, I can definitely say that this experience has been an adventure. Many trials and triumphs have come my way in short amount of time. It actually has me in awe looking back and recalling all the cool experiences I have been through so far. But I give my excitement, enjoyment, and love to the city, Granada itself.

Photo courtesy of the Universidad De Granada

Granada, Spain is a city of 240,000 and 75,000 are students or are related to the university, which makes this city a very vibrant, lively, and culturally enriching environment. Thousands of students from around the world come here to study at the Universidad De Granada. It is a college friendly, student oriented city. There are events happening every day and every night, associated with the university and also nonaffiliated events. According to the Universidad de Granada, “it is one of the least expensive cities in Spain while it is commonly regarded as offering the highest quality of life.”                                                                  Photo courtesy of author

Photo courtesy of author

Situated in the South of Spain, Granada still has a very authentic spanish culture with beautiful moorish and european architecture. This city also takes part in siesta, which I love! Nearly all shops and stores close in the middle of the day for siesta. 

One of the delicious tapas I’ve eaten!

This is also still one of the very few cities in Spain that has free tapas when one purchases a drink. Tapas are “appetizers” served with drinks and drinks are only 2-3 euros! It is a whole meal if you ask me.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

The Alhambra which is the most visited monument in Spain. A fort that overlooks Granada. It is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever laid my eyes on.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

The albaicin, which is the oldest part of town, and by far my most favorite, is just a dream to stroll in. The cobblestone streets have my heart. And nestled in between the building are “teteria’s” which are tea houses. Best tea I have ever had in my life.

I have only been here a handful of days and I am already so in love. I have never felt so apart of city yet so mesmerized by the differences of culture here in comparison with the US. But I guess those differences should be written for my next article. Adios!

Alexis Rizo

Cal Lutheran '21

I am studying Political Science and gaining an emphasis in Law and Public Policy and minoring in Philosophy. I enjoy traveling and have studied abroad at the Universidad de Granada in Granada, Spain during the spring semester of '19.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!