Trader Joe'S
Trader Joe'S
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Trader Joe’s Must Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

If you’re like me, you’re most likely a broke college student struggling to get by. For college students, when it comes to groceries it is a nightmare, especially with prices going up these days. I’ve learned how to cook for myself, and meal prep, but also treat myself to whatever I want (in moderation of course). When I first started cooking for myself in college, it was an interesting experience and adjustment to get used to. I used to cook or bake all of the time back at home, but never for a singular person let alone buy my own groceries. This is where I fell in love with Trader Joe’s, and before anyone says anything no they aren’t expensive you just have to look for good deals! Without further ado, I’m going to share with you my favorite Trader Joe’s go-to items and why I think the average college student should consider buying them. So let’s get into it because we’ll have four categories!

Trader Joe
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Snacks

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups- Seriously they are so much better than Reese’s and they’re not too sugary. Pair them with a glass of milk, or simply share with some friends, because these are to die for. 

Chili & Lime Flavored Rolled Corn Tortilla Chips- Seriously better and healthier than Takis. My go-to snack when I’m craving some spice, however, the only downside is how small the bag is. 

Organic Elote Corn Chip Dippers- My Dad was the first to try these, and let me just say that these are a great healthier option for Fritos or any type of fried corn chips. But, as I said before, the bag is kind of small for the price. 

Organic Naan Crackers- They had the best flavor and are great for dipping or parking with charcuterie. A perfect swap in case you’re tired of Ritz or Saltine crackers. 

White Cheddar corn puffs- My Mom is a huge fan of these and I am too! They have great flavors but can be addicting at times, especially with how big the bag is!

Soft Strawberry Licorice Twists Licorice isn’t my favorite thing in the world, I don’t even like Redvines. However, the strawberry flavor in this Licorice is so amazing that I end up eating the whole bag sometimes! 

Frozen Items

Chicken Gyoza Potstickers A quick and easy go-to meal when you’re pressed for time. Half the time you can’t even tell they’re chicken, and they taste amazing!

Trader Joe’s Hash Browns- Cheap, easy to cook, and yummy! Plus there’s a great quantity for the price. 

Joe’s Diner Mac ‘n Cheese Can’t you just make Kraft mac and cheese from the box? Yes, of course. But does this taste a million times better and take only minutes to heat up? Yes. 

Honey Walnut Shrimp My guilty pleasure and splurge meal most of the time! Maybe it’s a little overpriced for the amount you get, but I never regret buying it!

Steamed Chicken Soup Dumplings- At first, I didn’t know what these popular soup dumplings were all about. But then I tried them with a friend and my life changed for the better. Trust me, please grab yourself a box next time you go. 

Taiwanese Green Onion Pancakes- I recently got hooked on green onion pancakes and when I saw that Trader Joe’s had them I had to try them! They’re surprisingly really good and easy to heat up, I would definitely recommend them. 

Chicken Taquitos- My favorite snack any day of the week. They’re even easy to heat up in the air fryer. 

Household items

Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Hair Mask- Literally a blessing in disguise due to how cheap it is. I was very wary at first, but it gives my hair a nice refresh and I don’t need to use it often at all. It leaves your hair feeling soft and smooth with no greasy residue, which is a win for my curly hair!

Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Hair Serum- After using this for over half a year now, I can now say this is my favorite hair product to use. With my curly hair, I always felt like the ends were dry and damaged. After using this serum for quite some time, I’ve seen the difference it has made on my hair and I’m glad I was able to incorporate it into my haircare routine. 

Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

As you can see, I go to Trader Joe’s way too often. But, if anyone has any recommendations for me, please let me know! Other items I wanted to list included the Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream, the Strawberries & Cream Gelato, Sublime Ice Cream Sandwiches, and any of the Hold the Cone flavors. But seriously, if you’re missing out on Trader Joe’s and not going as often as I am please go! Use this list as a guide and trust me when I say just be smart and look for good deals, you’ll find them I promise. Happy shopping!

Olivia Madera

Cal Lutheran '25

Hi, my name is Olivia Madera and I'm a writer/editor for Her Campus Cal Lutheran! I'm majoring in communications (with an emphasis in journalism) and minoring in film/tv. I love to read, write, bake, and travel (especially to the beach)!