This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Even when I travel domestically (aka not outside of the USA), something that makes my vacations is uncovering the excitement that lies beyond the tourist traps. This spring break I will be going to Chicago, as well as other cities in Illinois with my boyfriend who goes to school down there. We are excited to explore Chicago for the second time together and hopefully uncover more interesting places and things to do! Nevertheless, here is what limited knowledge I have so far based on my previous experience in this very large and windy city.

The views and the good-times:

Photo by my boyfriend, Amir Bensouda 

FUN FACT: the first skyscraper in the United States was built in Chicago! Over the years they added more on to that- creating a city with a distinguishable skyline. While many places with views of this skyline are fancy restaurants that are offensive to your wallet, there are also places you can see this view for free. The Riverfront Walk and Lakefront Trail, for example, they offer great views of the city that change with every step you take. There are also a few parks such as Grant Park and Millennium Park both of which give you natural spaces as well as views.

Perhaps the most common place for views is the “bean” – formally known as the “cloud gate.”  However, since everyone takes pictures next to the bean for Instagram, there might be plenty of tourists in your way of getting a good shot. For an unbeatable view that is not blocked by tourists, there is the Willis Tower which holds the position of the 2nd highest building in the United States! The fee to reach the top can be a bit pricey, but it offers an incredible 365 degree view of the city (given the clouds aren’t covering everything). You also can take some of the best cheesy overpriced tourist pictures there!

Another place to see in Chicago is the Chicago Theatre that you have probably seen photos of somewhere in your lifetime. It is the building with the sparkling red sign with the unmissable word “Chicago” on it. This city also has a never-ending list of museums covering any topic you could think of- art, science, history… and the list goes on and on. If you are interested in architecture, I recommend you take the Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise- it is both fun and informative! The tour shows you why Chicago really is the ideal spot in the US for those interested in fascinating architecture. The nightlife in Chicago is also something else! There are Hookah bars, jazz clubs and many other interesting places for a late night experience. One particular place is called the Green Mill Lounge- it is a 1940’s theme with jazz musicians and poets for nightly entertainment.

Cheesy tourist photos at its finest 

#foodporn

Best Moroccan food in the US!

When everyone and their grandmother thinks of Chicago, it’s almost expected that in terms of food, the first thing that comes to mind is deep-dish pizza. This is a classic for a reason- it’s like pizza but more! Just when you thought pizza couldn’t get any better… it got thicker. Another food item I tried in Chicago was grits. I didn’t even know grits were a thing until I came to Chicago and stepped into a hipster pie café serving midwestern classics. Note: the hipster cafés are so adorable and fun places to eat at.  The café also had some of the best apple cider and key-lime pie I have ever tasted. Hot drinks are essential in a place like Chicago because they can warm up your most-likely frozen hands (thanks, wind). As far as classics go, Chicago’s version of California’s “In n’ Out” is called “Culvers,” a restaurant serving burgers, chicken sandwiches, fries, and all that jazz. Culver’s is known for its frozen custards (like ice cream but creamier).  

Grits and biscuits with a mug of hot apple cider!

The food scene in Chicago extends beyond the classics that you would see under #chicago on Instagram. What I love the most about Chicago’s food scene is how diverse it is! I tried some of the best Moroccan food I tasted in the US at a restaurant called “Shookran.” I went with my Moroccan boyfriend who can testify that their dishes were authentic! “Shookran” is the Arabic word for “thank you,” and let me tell you something, we were saying “shookran” to God for letting us find that place!

There are also some great Italian places for those of us who could eat pasta for breakfast, lunch and dinner (me). Last time I was in Chicago, I went to this Italian place in a nice hotel where the chef made me and my boyfriend a special alfredo dish for brunch. It was delicious. Chicago’s food scene is also made up of an abundance of gyros and “halal” food. So you can eat at much Shawarma as you want!

If you feel like having some fun with your meal and letting out some anger, Dick’s Last Resort is the perfect place for you to eat at. It is full of “pleasant surprises”, as in your waiters actually insult you and you can insult them back… they even give you hats with a snarky phrase on them! It’s all just for fun though, so don’t take what they say personally. As far as Mexican food goes, I haven’t actually tried it in Chicago yet. However, one of our Uber drivers recommended a Mexican place called “Mi Tierra en Villita” that actually offers live Mariachi performances while you eat!  There are definitely so many more places and cuisines to try in the heart of Chicago and I am excited to see which food adventures I will be going on this time!

The Alfredo dish that was specially made for us! My boyfriend enjoyed the chicken while I had the pasta!

Overall Chicago has so many great places to offer whether its sights, musuems, architecture or food! Just be prepared for cold weather when visiting, especially from the wind!  

All photos courtesy of the author unless specified otherwise 

Kerstin Westerlund

Cal Lutheran '20

Hello! My name is Kerstin Westerlund (pronounced "sher-stin") and I am a double major in Marketing Communication and Global Studies with a minor in French at California Lutheran University! A fun fact about me is that I am 100% Swedish-American and I played the violin in a Scandinavian music group for 8 years! Other than that, design, photography, traveling to cool places, learning different languages, fashion, cheesy dad jokes and OF COURSE writing Her Campus articles are some of many things that make me very happy! I hope you enjoy my articles!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!