This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Over Thanksgiving break I was flipping through the holiday movies on Netflix. In my opinion, the best way to start off the holiday season is to watch Christmas movies and indulge in my favorite holiday candy. This season only comes once a year, so I try to take advantage of the great holiday movies that Netflix has to offer. When searching for the perfect holiday movie, I always have to ask myself, “Which ones are actually good?” This Holiday season, I want to save you from the troubles of finding a good holiday movie to watch with your gals pals or significant other. These movies are also perfect to watch when your by yourself, needing a little cheerful movie to spark up your night. Here are my top Christmas movies I enjoy watching every Holiday season on netflix. Grab your gingerbread cookies and hot cocoa because it’s time to feel the true Christmas spirit!

1. A Christmas Prince

A Christmas Prince is my favorite holiday movie to watch since it came out last year. Yes, I will admit that the story plot is cheesy, but not in a bad way. The message of the movie successfully shows the audience that you do not have to be a breathtaking person to have a fairytale ending. The main character, Amber is a struggling journalist who is sent to the nation of Aldovia for her the magazine she writes for. Her job is to get the secret scoop on the royal family since their prince is receiving the throne of King. When Amber arrives, she lies to the maid of the Royal Family that she is the Princess’ new tutor. She reels her way into the Royal Family and gets to know them on a personal level. Amber and the Prince of course fall in love and she writes a breathtaking article about the truth of the Royal Family. Thank you Amber for showing us how much writing influences the world we live in. What I love about this film is that Amber is just like any other aspiring writer in the world but she gets her fairytale ending. Watching this movie gives us hope during the Christmas season that magic can happen to ordinary people.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

2. The Holiday Calendar

The Holiday Calendar is a new movie that was released on Netflix this season. At first, I was little skeptical because of the title. However, I knew it was going to be a good movie because Kat Graham, who plays Bonnie in vampire diaries starred in the movie. I was excited to see her outside of her witch role in the “Vampire Diaries” so I decided to give the movie a try. Honestly, I am glad that I decided to click on the movie.

First off, as a woman of color, I was excited to see that the movie had a predominantly black cast. Growing up I was not able to see many Holiday movies with cast members that looked like me and were popular. Thank you Netflix for showing a movie that represented how much African Americans value family and holiday traditions.

The main character, Abby, is a photographer that works at a calendar studio. Her best friend, Josh is also a photographer and traveled the world pursuing his passion. Throughout the movie, Abby stresses that she’s too focused on her career to commit to a relationship while talking to Josh and later her grandfather. When her grandfather hears about her struggles with her career and finding herself, he gives her a holiday calendar that her grandmother had before she passed. Each day the calendar opens and has an object that reveals a significant clue about what is going to occur that day. The movie teaches us the importance of perspective when well.. I am not one to spoil anything major. You are just going to have to watch “The Holiday Calendar” to find out.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

3. The Princess Switch

The Princess Switch stars our favorite childhood actress, Vanessa Hudgens. I was super excited to see my favorite wildcat in a netflix movie. Naturally, I watched it a couple days it came out this season. The movie takes off with a baker, named Stacy DeNovo. She enters a baking competition a week before Christmas in the Kingdom of Belgravia. She travels with her lifelong best friend Kevin and her goddaughter to take on the holiday baking competition. While setting up for a practice round, she runs into Lady Margaret who looks identical to her. Later on, Lady Margaret convinces Stacy to switch roles with her so Lady Margaret could get an idea of what being normal feels like. The two learn about lives the would have never known about without this opportunity. Watching this movie will give you the cozy holiday love story you would want this season.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

Elysia Williams

Cal Lutheran '22

HI! My name is Elysia but you can call me Sia for short. I am a leader of Delight Ministries at Cal Lutheran and a writer for Her Campus. In my free time, I am usually with my friends or family making memories.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!