Top 4 Freshman Fears & How to Overcome Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Going into your first year at college can be a really scary thing for a lot of people.  You don’t know what to expect, and you are away from home for potentially the first time in your life. Due to all this, you may have a few fears and worries about your freshman year of college.  However, there happens to be a solution and a way to cope with all of the different things that could be going on in your head, and I’m here to let you in on those!

Fear #1: “I don’t know anything.”

Okay, this one’s pretty easy. Nobody knows anything! Honestly, everyone is in the same boat as you. Freshman year is kind of just going with the flow, and the best advice I can give you is “fake it til you make it.”  If you act like you know what you’re doing, more than likely, you will eventually figure it out yourself.  However, if it’s been a few weeks and you still feel like you’re running around like a chicken with its head cut off, consider talking to your counselor or advisor.  Most schools will set you up with this kind of person for your first year, and they are there for a reason! Take advantage of that resource.

Fear #2: “I feel like I’m in the wrong place.”

This is totally normal.  Everyone feels like they are in the wrong place at first. Why? Because in your mind, you are.  You have been taken out of your home and placed on a campus full of young adults just like you.  It inherently feels wrong! I promise, however, the solution to this one is just time.  The best way to cope with this is to get yourself into a routine in order to feel more comfortable.  Eventually, things will figure themselves out.  

Fear #3: “I don’t have any friends.”

It’s the first couple of weeks at school, so don’t feel discouraged if you haven’t really formed close bonds with anyone yet. Friendship takes time, so don’t be so rushed on this one. The best way to make friends though is to put yourself out there!  Even if it feels uncomfortable at first, just go with it.  Again, everyone is feeling the same way.  Joining clubs can be a really great way to make new friends who have things in common with you.  Hey, you could even consider joining Her Campus! We are actually accepting applications right now.  You could also go to a sports game or any other on-campus event! Check the HUB for more events.  And lastly, don’t be discouraged if the first couple of friends you meet don’t end up being your lifelong ones.  Sometimes, you have to go through a few bad friendships before you can find the good ones.  

Fear #4: “I don’t know what to do in between classes.”

Here’s a few suggestions: read a book, do your homework, watch Netflix, take a nap, or go to the gym.  If you’re feeling a little more social, you could also always ask someone from your class to grab Starbucks or Jamba Juice with you! The possibilities are endless.

Freshman year, although overwhelming at first, can be one of the best and most exciting years of college. Just remember, everyone is in the same boat as you, and nobody has it quite figured out yet either.

natalie elliott

Cal Lutheran

Natalie is a junior at California Lutheran University majoring in Communications with an emphasis in journalism and minoring in Global Studies and Spanish. She interned with the HC National office the summer before college and writes for the Features section for Her Campus Cal Lutheran. Her favorite things are window seats, chai tea, yoga, and Jesus.  
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!