This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Summers are great for the beach, barbecues, tanning, hiking and so much more. However, it’s probably going to be another hot summer here in Southern California, so why not beat the heat? Grab your significant other, best friends or family and head to a local movie theater to sit in an air conditioned building and watch a great new movie. Don’t forget the Snacks!

Here are the upcoming, hot, new releases coming to you this summer!

1. Deadpool 2

Release Date: May 18, 2018Superhero, villain or just a hot mess? You decide. But Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) is back for another action packed comedy in Deadpool 2. This time he’s gathering a whole group of heroes to help in his new mission.

2. Solo: A Star Wars Story

Release Date: May 25, 2018The Star Wars story continues! Packed with tons of action from a galaxy far, far away, we go into the origin of how Han Solo (Alden Ehrenreich) came to be. This movie is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat!

3. Adrift

Release Date: June 1, 2018Based on a true story, a new couple goes an adventure they never thought would go back. Sailing on the wide, open ocean they encounter one of the largest storms of the Pacific. Watch as they battle mother nature while battling to stay alive.

4. Hereditary

Release Date: June 8, 2018This chilling horror movie will make your head spin. Grandma’s death brings up some terrifying information and turns her daughter’s family life into a scary place to be.

5. Ocean’s 8

Release Date: June 8, 2018Sanda Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kaling, Sarah Paulson, Awkwafina, Rihanna and Helena Bonham Carter, need I say more?

6. Incredibles 2

Release Date: June 15, 2018The Incredible family is back to save the world again. This time, Mom (Holly Hunter) has a new job, so Dad (Craig T. Nelson) has to be mom of the house. But with three kids who are also superheroes, he’s got a lot on his plate.

7. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Release Date: June 22, 2018Who is the real predator, human or dinosaur? It’s never a good idea to try and fix mother nature, but they did. Watch as Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard) and Owen (Chris Pratt) fight to save the dinosaurs the way they are.

8. Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Release Date: June 29, 2018Dirty cops from the U.S. bring on a war with the Mexican cartel. Trust, backstabbing and tons of action gives you an intense movie that you’ll definitely want to see what happens in the end.

9. The First Purge

Release Date: July 4, 2018Wonder how it all started? Suspenseful enough to keep you on the edge of your seat, The First Purge will explain all your questions.

10. Ant-Man and the Wasp

Release Date: July 6, 2018Sidekick? I think not! Meet the Wasp (Evangeline Lilly) and watch her wrangle in Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) so they can fight off evil.

11. Sorry to Bother You

Release Date: July 6, 2018Ever started a new job and just hate it? So did Cassius Green (Lakeith Stanfield) when he started his new job as a telemarketer. But he learned to fit in quickly. Rising to the top may not have been the best for him.

12. Eighth Grade

Release Date: July 13, 2018Eighth grade is that horrible time where a child is ending possibly one of the worst times in their life, but about to start the scary new realm of high school. See how this teen survives the last of her eighth grade year in a time full of social media and socially awkward moments.

13. Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation

Release Date: July 13, 2018Dracula (Adam Sandler) needs a vacation, so Mavis (Selena Gomez) surprises her dad with a trip on a cruise. Dracula may be hesitant at first until he gets bitten by the love bug. But if he’s not careful, that lovebug could be deadly for him and all his monster friends.

14. Skyscraper

Release Date: July 13, 2018Dwayne Johnson plays an U.S. war veteran and family man, Will Swawyer, who is on assignment to check the security of tallest building in Hong Kong. With criminals on the loose, one of the floors is set on fire and he has to save his family and fight the bad guys.

15. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

Release Date: July 19 , 2018More great music, more great dancing and more great stories. Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) is in the same place her mom (Meryl Streep) was when she was younger. Follow Sophie’s and her mom’s adventures while singing and dancing.

16. Mission: Impossible – Fallout

Release Date: July 27, 2018Nothing is impossible. And Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) is here to show you again that even the new heights and challenges he faces, he can get through anything.

17. Christopher Robin

Release Date: August 3, 2018Christopher Robin (Ewan McGregor) is all grown up and may have forgotten about his childhood friend, Winnie the Pooh. We get to welcome him back into our lives along with Christopher Robin. Winnie the Pooh once said, “ We’ll be friends forever, just you wait and see!” Let me tell you he was right and maybe he’ll provide us with more love and inspiration.

18. The Darkest Minds

Release Date: August 3, 2018From the producers of Stranger Things, a group of teenagers fight back against adults who fear the youth. The reality, they shouldn’t fear their differences, rather the fact they are going to change the world.

19. The Spy who Dumped Me

Release Date: August 3, 2018Audrey (Mila Kunis) grabs best friend Morgan (Kate McKinnon) to join her in an adventure of running for her life, while also being a strong, leading woman. Why is she running? Her ex that dumped her was a spy and not only are they after him, they are after her. Audrey and Morgan may be hit with some uncomfortable, awkward moments, but they are in it together. That’s friendship!

20. Slender Man

Release Date: August 24, 2018Can you see him? He lives deep in the dark forest capturing and tormenting children. You can run, but you can’t hide.

All Movie Posters courtesy of: IMDB

Thumbnail courtesy of: Slices of Light Note 8  at Edwards 26 via photopin (license)

Kira Wiman

Cal Lutheran '19

Kira is Head of Sisterhood for Cal Lutheran's Her Campus Chapter and absolutely loves being a part of a sisterhood. She is majoring in Interdisciplinary Educational Studies with a Psychology minor. After graduation in May 2019, she will be working towards acheiving her multi-subject credential with a Masters in Education at UCSB. She hopes to one day be an elementary school teacher who will open the mind's of our youth and create and active learning environment in her classroom. Writing articles for Her Campus Cal Lutheran gives her an outlet to speak about personal stories, topics she is passionate about and to entertain her fellow college peers.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!