This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I am a Senior. That is the first time I have said that today of what is likely to be 50 more as I go through my class icebreakers. 

Today is the day that I start my senior year and, honestly, I’m not sure how I feel about it. I am both really excited to be so close to heading into my career but also petrified to soon be leaving the place that has impacted me as a person drastically. I 100% have the senior year jitters. I am beyond excited for the first day but also I am beginning to have the realization that today is my last first day. That phrase is one that I have wanted to put as my Instagram caption for years as I just waited for my time to come. The time is now. Wow.

Cal Lutheran has given me the best and worst days of my life and I am thankful for that. As of now, I have had a lot of difficult classes that have only made me better. I have also had some “easy” classes that I made difficult because I wanted to get the most from it. But whether I had taken the easy route or the hard route, I am still here ready to start my senior year.

Photo from my last first day of Undergrad

Seniors always looked like they were on cloud nine. Since my Freshman year, anyone who was further along in the educational journey, I was envious of. It always felt like they were much closer to starting the rest of their lives but now I am here, scared. I am finally starting a job that is similar to my career choice. Of course, I am starting it the first day of my classes too so I’ll be filled with nerves as soon as my alarm clock hits 7 am. Honestly, though, will I even sleep the night before? It will be the first time I’ve seen my best friends in what feels like an eternity but is actually only 3 months. There is no way my roommates and I won’t stay up all night talking about what we did over summer, what we are looking forward to, and how thrilling it is that we are back on campus. 

I am not sure if I even know how I feel. Time seems to have flown but also, I have been waiting for Senior year to come for 3 years now. 3 years is a relatively long time and a lot has changed since. I have changed my major, figured out who actually cares about me, and found a passion that helps me get up every morning. Although this semester is going to be difficult balancing a job, 4 classes, and running our HC Chapter, I have never felt so ready.

To anyone who is a freshman, sophomore, or junior please take today to realize where you are and take in how you feel because soon you’ll be almost done with college like I am. I wish I had taken more time to realize how much I loved college than I have recently because college is such a unique experience that I will be forever thankful for. 

What I know for sure is that today will be a great day. I have my best friends by my side, I have some of the most interesting classes (shoutout to Senior Priority), and I feel confident in myself. 

September 4th, 2019; I am ready.

Francheska Cal

Cal Lutheran '20

Francheska is a Senior at California Lutheran University and is President of Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She is majoring in Interdisciplinary Educational Studies with a minor in Psychology. Francheska imagines herself as a second grade teacher in an elementary school within the next 5 years in the Los Angeles area.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!