This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Every year, it feels like the holidays come too soon. The department stores get their trees in sooner, and the malls decorate faster. I know at Target, we had our Christmas stuff delivered before it was even Halloween. Typically, it doesn’t bring me much joy when everything comes out early. I want to enjoy Halloween and Thanksgiving before diving into Christmas. This year, however, is different.

This year, as soon as Halloween was over, I put up my mini Christmas tree in my room and decorated, and I have blasted Christmas music throughout the house. Christmas is something that makes me very happy. One of the first things my best friend and I bonded over was our love of Christmas, a holiday that has remained sacred to our friendship. Because of the happiness that Christmas brings me, and many others, I support it starting early this year.

Laura Mueller

We have all missed out on so much stuff this year. Holidays, summer vacation, trips, hanging out with our friends and family, everything. The year has felt so dull, like an endless cycle of the same boring routine every day without anything to mix it up. For that reason, I think is a good idea to have Christmas start early this year. For me personally, it is bringing back that joy that I have missed. I’ve already begun my shopping, and this year, I actually like being able to go out and buy my friends gifts. Usually, I hate shopping, but just being able to have something to do makes it so much more meaningful this year.

On top of that, I think it’s nice, to not have to fully deal with the hustle and bustle of the holidays. Don’t get me wrong, it is still really busy, especially right now at Target since we’re doing Black Friday deals all month long instead of the one day. But this year, people are doing their shopping even earlier, and I believe that it will allow families more time to spend with each other and to connect.

Picture by Twstringer on Pexel.

The holidays are supposed to be about family, and sometimes, I think we as a society lose sight of that. Not being able to go out can bring families closer together, something I think we all need in these dark times.

So, however you feel about the holidays coming earlier this year, just remember, we’ve had a pretty dark year, and all of us could use a little bit of happiness.

Alexia Lee

Cal Lutheran '21

Alexia Lee is the Social Media Director for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She is a senior majoring in English with a minor in Creative Writing. She absolutely loves reading and writing, which she finds herself doing a lot in her free time. If she isn’t doing either, she can be found waltzing around Universal Studio’s Harry Potter World in her Ravenclaw robe, at the beach working on her tan, or daydreaming about where her travels will take her next.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!