Lindsay Thompson-Neon Sign Where You Need To Be Miami Bar Inspiration
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

They’re in love, where am i?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

“Lovers walk two by two,

doing things lovers do

They’re in love, where am I?”

They’re In Love, Where Am I? – The Weepies

Growing up, I always figured that I would be married by the age of 27. The number just sounded right to me; it wasn’t too young, but I wouldn’t be out of my twenties yet. I started to get the sense that this most likely would not be the case when I turned 21. I had six years left according to the ideal timeline I had built for myself, and I had only just held hands with a boy for the first time shortly before my 21st birthday. In comparison to my friends, my romantic accomplishments were much farther behind. This eventually developed into a cycle of numerous insecurities that still have yet to be broken, and I feel that this topic is rarely touched on. 

Fast forward to the present, I am now 24. It feels like every day the pressure to be in a relationship gets stronger with almost every interaction I have. I have gotten to a point where I feel like I want nothing more than to be in a romantic relationship with someone. I watch my friends, roommates, people I follow on social media, family, etc. be in serious relationships, casually hooking up with others, or just having one-off sexual experiences. I cannot help but feel jealous and bitter. I lie awake at night wondering what must be so wrong with me that I can’t move past the talking stage with someone I like. As I get older, I worry that I will never experience the “innocent puppy love” many people have had because everyone else has already surpassed that level. I worry about my physical appearance.  I constantly compare myself to almost every girl I see, trying to determine what exactly makes me less attractive or desirable that they do not have. Am I too loud? Do I need to wear make-up more often? Do I come off as too strong?

I know that this is a very dramatic way of thinking. I know that I am being irrational and that I am not alone in these experiences at all, however, the validation I am searching for has yet to be found. 

I hope that this article reaches someone in the same place that I am. You are not alone. There is nothing wrong with where you are in life. The timeline you have set your life on does not actually matter; time is not linear. You are worth more than the things you have yet to do. 

Ally Copley

Cal Lutheran '24

I'm a marketing communications major with a multimedia minor. I love doing crosswords, going to concerts, and immersing myself in books.