element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

These Are A Few of My Favorite Things!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

We have reached December and Christmas is right around the corner! You know what that means….all the best festivities, yummy food and good company are coming too! As college students we are really just trying to get through finals, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy some of our favorite holiday traditions and continue to look forward to all our favorites! Personally, I have already started enjoying some of my favorite things to do during this magical time. Come jump in my sleigh so I can take you for a ride and share my favorite holiday traditions.

Christmas Music

Yes, I am one of those people that blasts Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving. I mean who doesn’t like a little “Jingle Bells,” “Baby it’s cold outside,” or better yet, Mariah Carey’s “All I want for Christmas is you.” For me, Christmas music really sets the mood for the season. I’m usually stressing about finals approaching around Thanksgiving and the day after when I can play Christmas songs, I get a sense of relief and happiness that is very much needed!

Decorating the house

I always look forward to decorating the house for Christmas. Why? Mainly because it’s always been a way for me to spend time with my mom, since we are the ones who decorate. But in the picture above is my baby boy, Rusty, helping me with the tree this year. Actually, my favorite part is decorating the tree because there are definitely some favorite ornaments I have that have to be put up front. As well as some that I’m not super fond of that should go in the back. I guess you could say I’m a bit picky about how to decorate the tree. The one bummer is that we have a fake tree. Yes, they are nice and less work, but I absolutely love the smell of a fresh tree. Unfortunately, both my mom and dad are allergic to real trees. One year they gave in to my complaining of a having a real tree and suffered so I could have the experience. What they didn’t know is that I would fall in love with having a real tree instead of a fake one. Some other fun decorations we like are wrapping the pictures in the house as if they are gifts. And don’t forget the snowflakes that we hang from our ceiling in the living room to get that feel of snow even though we live in sunny So Cal. 

Christmas Movies

Whether you like the classics like the original claymation Christmas specials or a Hallmark movie, Christmas movies are just so wonderful that they always seem to make you happy no matter what. You can always rely on a Christmas movie to make you smile and to make your heart feel warm. I recently watched The Grinch with my HC sisters and it felt like we were all little kids getting more ready for the magic of Christmas. You can always find some really great movies on Netflix during the season. Try checking them out or just stick with the classics. 

Christmas Lights

In Oxnard, my hometown, we have Christmas Tree Lane. It’s a historical district with a whole block of houses that deck out in the Christmas Spirit! If you’re lucky, you can catch Santa driving down the street with his reindeer. It’s great that the whole community can get together to celebrate the holidays. My favorite thing to do is to make some Abuelita’s Hot Chocolate, put some comfy clothes on, and walk up and down the street with my boyfriend and maybe some friends. I just love looking at all the houses and all the work some people put in to make holiday magic for everyone! It’s really one of my favorite things to do during the holidays. 

Christmas Morning

When I was younger, I used to be woken up by my big brother to go see if Santa came. Before going to bed on Christmas Eve, we would turn off the Christmas lights and leave cookies out for Santa as well as celery and carrots for his reindeer.  On Christmas morning, my brother and I would know if Santa came if he turned on our Christmas lights. We were ready for Christmas at 3 am, but we couldn’t say the same for our parents. We would go back to my brother’s room and watch cartoons until 5 am, the time we were allowed to wake our parents. Once it hit 5 am, we would run in and jump on their bed saying “It’s Christmas!” We would run to the living room and start opening presents. About halfway in, my dad would start cooking us steak and eggs. Yeah maybe it’s a bit boujee, but hey who (other than vegetarians and vegans) wouldn’t want a super yummy steak in the morning on Christmas. Ever since I was little that was a tradition in our house and we still continue it to this day. 

Coming Together

No matter what your favorite things to do during the holiday, I think for most people it’s not so much about the materialistic aspects but rather about spending time with all your loved ones. That is truly the spirit of Christmas. It’s not about the gifts, events, or parties, it’s about being with each other. The gift my loved ones give to me every year is being in my life and that is all I really want and can ask for. Without them, I don’t know how I would survive my years and stresses especially with school and work. The people in your life are God’s greatest gift to you, so appreciate them. Appreciate the time you spend during the holidays. Don’t worry about what you’re getting under the tree because in the grand scheme of it all, it doesn’t matter. What matters is the love that surrounds you, and the holiday magic. Let me share with you all the people that mean the world to me and that I think about especially during the holidays. 

Best friends/roommates (I am a commuter, but I’m the honorary 5th roommate!) I couldn’t have finished CLU without them and they will definitely be lifetime friends!

From Left to Right: Fran, Simone, Kyla, Me, Julie

Some of the girls from my Girl Scout Troop 698! Best friends for life!

From Left to Right (Top): Sheena, Cierra, Heather; (Bottom): Me, Jeri, my mom

​Some of my family members and my boyfriend (missing tons of family members that I love- look above for large family photo where many are still missing).

From Left to Right (Top): My dad, cousin Grady, Javi; (Bottom): Grandma, my mom, me, Aunt Cheri

The one and only Cari who has been one amazing boss for 8 years and has become my second mom. 

Another amazing friend, Karie, in my life who has pushed me and been there for me so much!

My newest little, Christina, who is one of a kind and I’m so thankful she has entered my life.

​ Vanesa is not considered an old co-worker, she is considered one of my closest friends who I can truly rely on and who I can be a dork with.

Saving the best for last, my best friend since high school, my sister, my one in a million, Gabs. So many years together and so many more to spend together!

All photos courtesy of author Kira Wiman

Kira Wiman

Cal Lutheran '19

Kira is Head of Sisterhood for Cal Lutheran's Her Campus Chapter and absolutely loves being a part of a sisterhood. She is majoring in Interdisciplinary Educational Studies with a Psychology minor. After graduation in May 2019, she will be working towards acheiving her multi-subject credential with a Masters in Education at UCSB. She hopes to one day be an elementary school teacher who will open the mind's of our youth and create and active learning environment in her classroom. Writing articles for Her Campus Cal Lutheran gives her an outlet to speak about personal stories, topics she is passionate about and to entertain her fellow college peers.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!