This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I have always loved writing, but it doesn’t always love me. I am a poet at heart, and there’s nothing more exhilarating than getting a spark of inspiration and writing a piece I fall in love with. However, it’s not always easy. Sometimes I find myself realizing that it has been days, or even weeks, since I picked up my pen and did some creative writing. Every writer inevitably experiences writer’s block at some point, and it can be difficult to get through it. Here are a few ways that I try to find inspiration when I’m struggling with my writing. 

1. Don’t Force it

Sometimes, your creative brain might just need a break. Allow yourself to not write for a while. Give your mind a chance to breathe and don’t force yourself to write. By giving yourself the opportunity to refresh, you might ultimately find it easier to get back in your creative groove quicker. For me, being in a creative writing course, I am expected to keep up with my writing. But I try not to put any expectations on myself, understanding that I do not always need to try to write my best poem yet. 

2. Let someone else do the writing

I will admit that I struggle to find time to read for myself. Between my job and schoolwork, I barely have time to catch my breath in my free time. But for a writer, it can be very inspiring to read others’ works when I am struggling with writer’s block. Sometimes I take writing for granted. Yet when I revisit a favorite poem, or find a new one that takes my breath away, I remember why I fell in love with this medium. It spurs me to open my notebook and start scribbling away. 

3. Follow a prompt

Recently as an assignment for my poetry class, I wrote a poem following a prompt I found online. As I scrolled through many different prompts, I found myself coming up with a lot of ideas for new poems. It can help to get a little push to write again, and seeking prompts online can be a very useful tool. There are so many helpful resources online to help you get inspired. Again, don’t try to force yourself. When you feel ready, look through prompts and try out whichever one speaks to you. 

4. It’s supposed to be fun

I often have to remind myself that I am not Shakespeare, Keats, or Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I do not have to be the best writer, and I do not have to write the best poems. Sometimes you can follow an idea, and end up with a mess of a poem that you despise. That’s okay! It’s part of the process of sharpening your skills. Working through your ideas, and simply the act of trying, can help to get your creativity flowing again. Remember — writing should never be a chore. It’s fun!

Amelia Kramer-Typewriter Vintage Antique Store
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus

I will always love writing, even when I’m struggling to do it. Just because I’m struggling to write does not mean I am a bad writer, it just means I’m human. Sure, it doesn’t feel great when I sit down to write and nothing comes to mind. But there are few better feelings than a sudden spark of inspiration, when the words all begin to settle in your mind and spill out onto paper before you know it. I love writing, and a little block will never stop me.

Caroline Lopez

Cal Lutheran '23

Hello! My name is Caroline and I’m an English major at California Lutheran University. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California, and love spending time going to the beach and traveling around the state. I am a passionate book nerd who spends all her free time reading the classics, watching old movies, and writing!