The Importance of Caring for the Ocean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

The ocean has always been a passion of mine and I believe it is important to spread awareness about current issues regarding marine life and how we can sustain ecosystems.

The ocean produces over half of the world’s oxygen that we breathe and it absorbs 50 times more carbon dioxide than the atmosphere. Since the ocean is one of the main sources of oxygen on the planet, it is essential to keep it healthy so we continue to have clean oxygen. 

Global warming has been an issue for the planet for dozens of years. In California, the problems with the ocean are more relevant and people who live on the coasts see the impact global warming has on the ocean first hand. 

As the global temperatures continue to rise each year, this negatively impacts the ocean by causing its temperature and sea levels to rise, changes in ocean currents, and ocean acidification. 

Sea level rise

Sea levels rising is one of the current major issues for the ocean. This is an effect from ice melting and global warming. 60% of California’s beaches are highly vulnerable to sea level rise. However, some shores that contain native plants and natural dunes can help slow the tide. 

What will happen if sea levels continue to rise?

If sea levels continue to rise not only in California but globally, this will negatively affect marine life by destroying their habitats in areas along the shore and in reefs. Salt water intrusions from rising seas will compromise drinking water and the ability to grow crops, slowing agricultural production. People who work in ocean-related jobs may see their lives threatened by sea levels rising. Lastly, in California, the PCH and other major transportation hubs on the coasts are at risk for destruction from the rising sea levels. 

How to help stop sea level rise

This is an issue that cannot be solved overnight and it will take years to rid sea levels rising. Luckily, there are experts and scientists who know the right things to do now and there are steps we can all take to speed up the process. We can change our daily habits and reduce our carbon footprint by consuming less meat as well as minimizing car trips and air travel. 

sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Ocean acidification

Ocean acidification is another major current issue with the ocean. This is when there is a reduction in pH levels in the ocean caused by excess absorption of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. This has a negative effect on the ocean because when too much carbon dioxide is being absorbed by the ocean, it dissolves in the water as carbon acid which is unhealthy for the ocean. Ocean acidification can cause coral bleaching and can wipe out entire coral reefs. This occurs when corals become white from increase in temperature in the ocean. Coral bleaching is a current problem that is an effect from ocean acidification and global warming. 

How to help stop ocean acidification

Similar to the ways to help stop sea level rise, reducing meat intake will significantly help, using less energy at home, conserving water, reducing plastic use, reducing car and airplane transportation, reducing reusing ,recycling, and cleaning up the beaches! 

Why you should care about saving the ocean

The ocean provides for humans in many ways and it is crucial we should all care about the health of our ocean. There are a lot of steps we can take to help sustain the ocean and further help global warming. We only get one planet so it is important we all take care of it to keep it healthy and able to provide for us!

Paige Sanders

Cal Lutheran '24

Hi! My name is Paige Sanders and I am from Stillwater, Minnesota. I am majoring in Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations and a minor in Environmental Studies. I enjoy spending time with friends at the beach, taking pictures, and writing.