This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

My mental health was going through a rough patch before college started. The month of August was when I had ended my friendship with someone who had been my best friend since we were thirteen. I spent three weeks contemplating why I had to lose her, and why God turned against me. I spent so much time overthinking my self-worth, that it led me to forget the person I once was. When I tried to hang out with friends my mind would drift off and think, “Why would she do that?” “Does no one care about me?” Voices in my head constantly told me that I was not enough because of how people treated me. I convinced myself that no one could fill the hole that I lost. I began to confess my pain to God, and would ask Him to help guide me to find the right people in college. Before I knew it He blessed me with more than I prayed for.

Move-in day approached after longer than I expected. I was overjoyed to leave my hometown and start off my freshman year with a clean slate. When I arrived, my roommate, Sarah, was in the room with her family. I automatically knew that she was a good person by the way her family welcomed me. Even though moving in was stressful, we somehow found a way to make small talk while putting our rooms together. I could not help but wonder if God had answered my prayers, but I did not want to ruin a friendship before it happened. As time went on, Sarah and my actual roommate Sophia and I began to connect. I opened up to them about how I lost a friend during the summer, and they reassured me that I was not alone. We began to talk about music, our beliefs, and morals within the first month of school. These late night conversations filled my heart with pure joy. I had people that I could talk to about anything, their light showed me good things happen to those who wait.

The month of November has taught me to show appreciation to those who have changed my life forever. To my roommates who have taught me what true friendship looks like, thank you. During these past few months I have been myself, and I have not been that in a long time. I will forever cherish our late night crackhead runs, talking about our highs and lows, and just going through our freshman year together. Because of our friendship I have had the opportunity to learn about myself. To those reading who are going through a hard time, I know it sounds cheesy, but it does get better. I know it is hard to see the light when you are stuck in the dark but I promise the light is coming and it will dim out all the darkness.

All photos are my own.

Elysia Williams

Cal Lutheran '22

HI! My name is Elysia but you can call me Sia for short. I am a leader of Delight Ministries at Cal Lutheran and a writer for Her Campus. In my free time, I am usually with my friends or family making memories.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!