This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

The upcoming holiday season has made me reflect on all the things I have and am grateful for. With all that’s going on, it’s easy to lose track of what’s important. Thanksgiving has always been a time for family and food, my two favorite things. And we can still enjoy those things this year, although maybe differently than before.

I am so unbelievably grateful that I get along with my family. I can’t imagine having to spend all this time with people I don’t like. My parents and sister are truly my favorite people.  We can always step back and have fun together, whether it’s a hike or just playing a game.

table with coffee, chocolate, blanket, leaves, oreos
Photo by Brigitte Tohm from Unsplash

Another thing that I am thankful for this holiday season is food. Over these past several months, I have been cooking my way through both of Chrissy Teigen’s cookbooks -which I highly recommend if you don’t have them- and baking like crazy. Although I am not a fan of turkey (an unpopular opinion, I know), there are so many other great Thanksgiving dishes. Some of my favorites include mashed potatoes, apple pie, and stuffing. They never disappoint me.

Standing around a variety of pumpkins
Photo by Briana Tozour from Unsplash

Even though everyone’s Thanksgiving is going to be a lot smaller this year, there are still so many things we can look forward to. Like spending time with our family (that we live with because we’re keeping it small) and all of the great food. You can still go all-out on food and have a great meal. It’s something fun to do with those you love. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Bari Cashman

Cal Lutheran '21

Bari Cashman is a student at California Lutheran University. She is currently pursuing a degree in Marketing Communications. She is an avid reader and writer.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!