This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

For my last article at Cal Lutheran, I want to say thank you. First, thank you to our chapter of Her Campus. When I first started at Cal Lutheran, I didn’t know anyone, and I was friendless for a long time. Then I joined the club, and I was welcomed with open arms. These girls became my family and they made me feel like I finally had a place on the campus.

Next, I want to say thank you to the English department. It has been a long 4 years, but the professors and staff and even the students in the English department made it much easier. We had a lot of fun in our classes, and I learned so much. I even found my passion for writing!

For that passion, I would like to specifically thank Dr. Lyons. It was her intro to creative writing class that got the ball rolling for me and I never turned back. I not only found something that I love, but I finally figured out what I wanted to do with my life and with my degree. For that, I will be forever thankful.

Person writing in agenda on desk
Photo by STIL from Unsplash
Another thank you is to all the friends that have come and gone during my time at CLU. From those who I just sat next to for one semester, to those that moved away or transferred, to those that already graduated before me. Thank you for making my experience one that I will never forget.

And thank you to Cal Lu. You were my home away from home for four years. I spent more time on campus than I did with my family (and I was a commuter the entire time). The campus was a safe haven, a happy place, that allowed me to flourish over these years. There certainly were many ups and downs, but at the end of the day, Cal Lutheran will always be somewhere that I call home.

Travel
Photo by Annie Spratt from Unsplash
It is so hard to say goodbye and close the door on a chapter in our lives, and if I’m being honest, I’m struggling. I’m not ready to go yet. I am so scared of what comes next because all I have known for 17 years is how to be a student. I don’t have my “big girl” job lined up yet. I don’t have a plan. And I am terrified. But behind that fear, there is a hope that is getting bigger every day and I can also say that I am excited for this next chapter. I like rereading the same novels over and over again because knowing the ending is a comfort for me. I don’t know what’s coming and I hate that, but I am prepared to embrace it with open arms and to dive headfirst into the unknown.

So yes, saying goodbye to the best four years of my life is going to be difficult, but I am ready to say hello to the next four. And the four after that. And on and on. Because if there is one thing I know about myself is that I will never back down when I’m scared. I’m ready for life. And thank you to Cal Lu for getting me there.

Alexia Lee

Cal Lutheran '21

Alexia Lee is the Social Media Director for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She is a senior majoring in English with a minor in Creative Writing. She absolutely loves reading and writing, which she finds herself doing a lot in her free time. If she isn’t doing either, she can be found waltzing around Universal Studio’s Harry Potter World in her Ravenclaw robe, at the beach working on her tan, or daydreaming about where her travels will take her next.