Stop Sharing Your Grades on Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

You’ve seen it on Facebook.

It seems that everyone has at least two or three friends who post their grades on social media.

But is it really necessary?

Grades, at least in my family, have always been something of a private matter. And shouldn’t they be?

While the world around us seems to prize how well we do in school, that should not and is not the end-all-be-all to our worth.

Some people put all their effort into school and come out on top, while others put minimal effort in and also end up on top. And in the same way, some people care deeply about their studies, but are unable to get the grades to show for it while, still, others would rather put their time into something else, and get the grades that reflect their priorities. Neither of these students is better or worse than the other because everyone is different.

But—with that being said—coming from a person who deeply cares about school and who also works her butt off reaching her personal GPA goals: stop sharing your grades on social media. We live in a society of comparisons.

Who got the best grade in Biology?

Who knew the most in Philosophy?

Who had the top test in Psychology?

People feel good when they do better than others. But people also feel bad when they do worse than others.

I’m not advocating for a politically correct world where “no one’s feelings get hurt.” I’m all for debate and open discussion and sharing of unpopular opinion. But sharing grades? That’s an unnecessary evil.

By sharing grades on social media—whether you realize it or not—you are putting so many people down.

There are so many students who care about school. Who—let’s face it—worked so much harder than you. Who—unfortunately—don’t have their strong suit in studying or test taking or memorizing. And for them, a 3.0 or a 3.2 might be their best.

But when you post your GPA for the world to see, so many people’s self-esteem plummet.

Yes, it makes sense for someone who has worked hard for their grades to feel proud about their accomplishments and want to share them.

But grades are a private thing.

Posting grades to social media is a huge step. Hundreds upon thousands of people will see that post—it’s the internet, people.

If you really feel proud of the grades you’ve earned, share them with family, with friends, but share it through a more direct means of communication.

Try a text, or a message, or a call. You can even tell them in person. If you’re overjoyed about what you’ve accomplished in school, by all means, share it. But think before you post.

Some people work incredibly hard in school, but work or sports or life or tough professors or hobbies or clubs or basically anything else gets in their way or make their goal different from yours.

And when you share an accomplishment with as much weight and personal importance as grades, it’s imperative to put yourself into other’s shoes, because once someone sees your grades, if even for an instant, the comparison they make against themselves will last a lifetime.

So with that being said, my dear grade-sharing friends, please think before you post. I am proud of you and what you’ve accomplished. I am glad you are excited to share what you’ve done in school, but please, stop posting your grades to social media.

Because no matter what your GPA is, no matter what your class schedule or your extracurricular activities, as long as you try your best, that is what matters.

With GPAs bombarding Facebook with every scroll, it’s hard to understand that important message.

________________

Note: This article is the perspective and opinion of the author and does not reflect the views of Her Campus Cal Lutheran or Her Campus Media. Thank you!

Rachael Balcom

Cal Lutheran

Rachael is a Cal Lutheran junior and communication major also following the premed track. Originally from San Diego, she enjoys juggling, well-buttered popcorn, and writing about unpopular opinions.
    Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!