This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

If you’re anything like me, spring semester is a really weird time. It’s as if spring semester takes longer and in a sense it does, but it definitely feels like your life is in constant slow-mo. You feel less motivated and the tendency to nap is as frequent as ever. So, what do you do when you have five classes, three club meetings, and you’re trying to balance a social life? Here are some tips in case the answer to that question is “I don’t know”:

1. TRY TO DEVELOP A RAPPORT WITH YOUR PROFESSORS EARLY ON

One of the beautiful things about CLU is that the faculty genuinely cares about each of their students’ success. Use this to your advantage as soon as possible. Introduce yourself. Talk to them about any health or family issues early on so that they are aware of the challenges you may face in the long run. Additionally, correspondence is key: email, go to office hours if you’re struggling, and make an effort to give them advance notice if you won’t be in class.

2. MAKE YOUR PLANNER YOUR BEST FRIEND

USE A PLANNER. Or, if you prefer not to carry around yet another book-like object, use the calendar feature on your phone, laptop, or tablet. Writing stuff down or inputting them in your phone will help dates remain in your memory easier. Also, having things to look forward to in terms of academics keeps the momentum at a steady pace.

3. ATTEND A WORKSHOP ON CAMPUS

I only recently figured out that CLU offers workshops on time management and how to control stress as it relates to academic life. I have signed up for a few that are coming up and I am excited to be taking advantage of the resources available. Consider these workshops if you have to have a little extra support.

4. TAKE A SPECIFIC AMOUNT OF TIME OUT OF YOUR DAY FOR “ME” TIME

Take it from me: self-care is absolutely essential to success as a college student. We spend a majority of our time with looming deadlines, in two-hour classes, or doing homework for classes, that we often forget that it is okay to spend time by ourselves getting Starbucks or doing some recreational reading. It is important.

These tips are just a few things to help you either avoid that slump or get through it. It is and it will be possible. Hopefully these will help!

22-year-old college girl, motivational speaker, and coffee aficionado. I'm an English major with a sassy flare who adores life. Oh, and my wheelchair's name is Stella.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!