Spring Break Without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Spring break is coming up soon and paying for college makes doing something extravagent for spring break almost impossible! Living close to Los Angeles makes finding fun things to do fairly easy, but if you need some help, here is a list of fun things to do around the Thousand Oaks-Los Angeles area.

1. Go to a museum.

There are a lot of museums you can go to for free, here are a few:

• LACMA (on certain nights)
  • Griffith Observatory
  • Annenberg Space for Photography
  • Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust
  • California African American Museum
  • Getty Center
  • Getty Villa
  • Torrance Art Museum
  • Hammer Museum
  • California Science Center
  • Los Angeles Maritime Museum
  • Hollywood Bowl Museum

2. Go to a concert.

There are some inexpensive concerts around and even some free ones if you look hard enough. Concerts can be a great way to discover new music and have a fun night!

3. Go on a hike.

There are lots of beautiful places to hike around Thousand Oaks and the surrounding areas. There is even a beautiful hike on campus!

4. Read a good book (or a few).

Never underestimate the power of a good book. A good book can transport you anywhere! Go to your local book store and find one!

5. Go to Borderline.

The country line dancing bar in Thousand Oaks! If you have not been there already, it is a fun time and one of my personal favorites. (Only $7 for admission with your student ID!)

Don’t let the lack of money stop you from having a fun spring break!

(Photos courtesy of Kaitlyn Sloniker, Elaine Abarta, Nelleke Meerman, Kaitlyn Hofmeister, and Amy Harger.)

Elaine Abarta

Cal Lutheran

Elaine is a Junior at California Lutheran University majoring in Communications. She is currently Publicity Director and Features Writer for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She loves planning events, singing, playing guitar, and spending time with her friends and family. 
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!