This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Fall brings us all such warm and comforting memories, of course, one of the best ways to make memories during the fall is to go on dates! Now whether you decide to go out on a date with the person you love more than ice coffee or with your best friends I have some fun date ideas on and off campus! 

One of the most cliche but also classic date ideas is of course a picnic. Fall picnics near the evening as the sun goes down around the trees is always an enjoyable experience. Kingsmen Park is probably the best place to do this. Setting up an orange, brown, or red-themed picnic blanket with some comfort foods like potato cheddar soup, bread, and warm drinks will make the evening even better. I would recommend even bringing some other fun activities to do during the picnic that you two would both enjoy. Some ideas include building a fun Lego set, painting or carving pumpkins, or even doing a puzzle together. Picnics are also a very affordable option, scratch an expensive dinner and instead have a more interactive and playful picnic experience!

I think that everyone can agree that sometimes staying in is just a better option, especially if it’s cold outside with the cool fall breeze. What’s better for the cold weather than making the house/dorm feel a little warmer! Baking in your dorm’s kitchen and then taking the sweet treats back to your room while watching a scary movie or a fall-themed show is always a great way to do more than just a movie night! If baking isn’t your thing that’s also okay. Cooking is another great option to make the night fun. Simple comfort food recipes like  grilled cheese with tomato soup is something you can never go wrong with. Or if neither are your thing  just order a Pizza and some snacks on Grubhub!

Being on campus 24/7, sometimes a change in scenery is just what us college students need. A bookstore date for you book lovers is probably just the thing to get away from the chaos of school and enjoy a day with your partner. Going to Barnes and Noble and maybe grabbing a cup of coffee at the Starbucks inside and talking about the books you picked out is a cute, fun, and easy way to just go out. Talking about some genres of books you and your partner are interested in could also create some fun by maybe having each other read your favorite book and going on another date later to talk about the books at a cafe. Maybe you’ll learn something new about them as you talk, book interests can tell a lot about a person.

Personally for me, once the sun begins to set my favorite time of the day comes, nighttime! Most people really enjoy watching the sunset or driving at night. Date nights don’t always have to be this big thing. They can be small and simple too. Going out on a late night drive or driving as the sun is setting is not only an opportunity for you to talk to your partner but also to enjoy a beautiful view and romantic time with them. Who knows, maybe on your way on your night drive you guys may be craving something sweet and stop by for five dollar pizookie Tuesdays at BJs or go to Rolling Pin Donuts for a midnight sweet treat. 

Pumpkins are one of the fall staples and what better way to celebrate fall than to go see and pick some pumpkins to carve or paint! All around Ventura and Los Angeles, there are pumpkin patches and fall harvest festivals that have fun activities to take part in like hayrides or going on some of the rides. Then of course pick out the perfect pumpkin for you and your partner to carve and paint together or maybe even choose pumpkins for each other.  

Now one of my personal favorite date nights that is on the more pricey side would have to be a trip to the Cheesecake Factory. The pasta and warm bread with butter are always so delicious when the weather is colder and the leaves are brown. Then to top it all off,  you and your partner’s favorite cheesecake at the end. The Cheesecake Factory is one of those fun and special night occasions that I would say only do every once in a while because then when you guys do go, it’s all the more fun and memorable! 

All these date ideas are so festive so I hope that these were some new or interesting ideas, and just remember: you do not need a special reason to go out on a date. Dates are what make the relationship’s spark continue and also allow you to spend more time making memories together! Good luck with your fall adventures!

Athena Perez

Cal Lutheran '27

Hi I'm Athena! I'm a Psychology major and Philosophy minor. I'm a big lover of fashion and you'll most likely catch me with a hot tea in my hands while studying. I hope to explore my different interests through writing this year for Her Campus and am so excited to widen people's perspectives on new stories or ideas to spice up your day to day lives! Here at CLU I'm involved in LASO, a delegate for the UEJC and am part of the University Honors Program. Some of my personal interests includes listening to R&B, K R&B and other genres of music, watching anime and reality shows, and working out.