This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

After many years of trying different skincare products and taking the time to learn about ingredients I can finally say that I have a skincare routine that I not only love, but that works for my skin! I have sensitive, combination skin and these products work for me. If you are looking for some new skincare products, these might work for you too!

Cleanser

I recently found my new favorite cleanser and I am obsessed with it! It is the Beste No. 9 Jelly Cleanser by Drunk Elephant. This cleanser is fragrance free and does not feel like it is drying out my skin. It also does a good job at removing makeup if you double cleanse with it. 

Moisturizer

Moisturizers are a skincare product that I have a complicated relationship with. Not only does it need to hydrate my skin, not cause breakout, and not feel oily, it also needs to sit nicely under makeup. After trying many, my favorite moisturizer is the CeraVe PM Facial moisturizing lotion. This moisturizer has so many positives – it is non-comedogenic, oil free and contains niacinamide. 

Toner

While toner is not a necessary step in your skincare routine it can help and treat any issues you may have. I like to use a hydrating toner in the mornings after cleansing my skin. My favorite toner is the Baby Cheeks toner by Versed. With ingredients like coconut water, algae extract and bamboo extract. It is fragrance free and good for sensitive skin. 

SPF

SPF is arguably the most important step in your whole skincare routine. Many of the SPF’s I have tried feel heavy, oily, and leave a white cast all while breaking me out. My favorite SPF is Paula’s Choice RESIST Youth-Extending Daily Hydrating Fluid. This SPF makes my skin glow, and not only that, it has SPF 50. It contains ingredients that fight UV rays, help with redness, and protect against environmental damage. 

Exfoliator

Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant is amazing! It has helped to clear my skin and keep it clear. With 2% Salicylic acid it helps to unclog pores, get rid of dead skin cells and smooth skin. I use this product every other night and it seems to work with my sensitive skin. Another great thing about this product, is that as I only use it once every 2 days, the bottle lasts for a long time!

Treatment

• While there are so many treatments available, I only use 1 besides the Paula’s Choice exfoliator. I use The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Serum. I use this in the mornings after cleansing and using my toner. This product helps to clear skin and control oil production. It is also fragrance free and extremely affordable! 

Micellar Water 

• To take off my eye makeup I like to use the Bioderma Sensibio H20 Micellar Water. I find that this micellar water is gentler than others I have tried while also being the most effective. It also does not sting my eyes like other makeup removers. 

Lip balm 

Finally, my favorite lip balm is also a new addition! It is the Glossier Balm Dotcom in Coconut. This lip balm not only smells great but keeps my lips moisturizers for hours! The coconut scent is not tinted but many of the other flavors are. If you want to add a tint for an effortless look in the day, try either the rose, cherry, birthday, mango, berry, or cookie butter flavors!

Eye Cream

I have tried a few eye creams and I haven’t found one yet that I love and that does everything it should. I am still looking for one and trying different ones. It can take time to find what works for you, and that’s okay!

If you’re looking for some new skincare products, try out some of my favorites! If they don’t work for you, don’t worry! Skincare is a personal journey and what works for one person won’t be right for the next person but you will eventually find out what works for your skin.

Beth Baker

Cal Lutheran '23

I am a senior studying Psychology with a minor in Business Administration. I am interested in fashion, beauty and makeup.