Simply Regal: How to do a Pull-Through Braid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

The “pull-through” braid is a really quick and interesting braid. It helps add lots of volume to the hair, while still being easy to do on your self! It’s a quick hairstyle that always looks cute!

The supplies you will need are small, clear hair elastics and a hairbrush. Hairspray is optional.

To begin, smooth and section off the top of your hair; secure it with a clear elastic. You can start this braid as high or as low as you want on the head. It also makes a cute side braid! Try to section off your hair symmetrically on the sides.

Tip: If you want to dress the braid up, wrap a small section of hair around this elastic. It helps hide the elastic and makes the braid look even nicer.

Next, clip this top section out of the way. You’ll come back to it. Section off the next section of your hair and secure it with an elastic band. Let the first ponytail drop.

If you’re doing this braid as a side braid, you wont have to add sections of hair because all your scalp hair will be incorporated in the first ponytail.

Split the top ponytail in two and let half drape on either side of the bottom ponytail. Now clip the bottom ponytail out of the way.

Smooth out your next section of hair and make sure to incorporate the halves of the first ponytail. Make sure there is a half on either side!

Now drop the second ponytail and split it in half over the third ponytail. Lift up the second ponytail and create another ponytail incorporating the hanging sections. Continue this down the hair. When you are done, section off all the hair with an elastic tie.

Tip: Again, to make this look more fancy, you can wrap a piece of hair around this final elastic.

When you are done, I think it is essential to pull the braid apart a little for volume. To do this, simply start at the top of the braid. Pinch a small part of the outside edge of the braid and gently pull on it. This will help expand the braid.

After that, you can add hairspray or accessories.

You’re done with your beautiful braid! 

Thanks for reading! AP 

Hi! Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am sophomore Sociology/English major at Cal Lutheran University. This is my first year writing for Her Campus and I am very proud and excited to have joined the team. I aim to provide general lifestyle tips and ideas for my blog, as a means of making a campus dorm more homey. Thank you for reading!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!