Simply Regal: Elegant Braided Bun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Braided buns are an easy hairstyle to master, and they’re great for getting your hair out of your face. If braids are easy for you, then this hairstyle manages to be quick and easy while still looking intricate. It’s great for dressing up or down. What is also really awesome about this type of hairstyle is that the same technique can be used multiple times, but your hair will never look the same twice! 

The tools you will need are: a comb, some hair elastics (small, clear ones, preferably), lots of bobby pins (a mix of large and small ones, depending on hair type), hairspray, and an accessory, if you choose. 

1. The first step is to create a deep side part. Pick up a section of hair along the front of the hairline, near the part. Begin to Dutch braid (braiding the hair under the middle piece). Continue the braid along the hairline, incorporating hair only from along the hairline.  Secure with an elastic. 

2. Now, create a braid on the other side of the part. To do this, section off a section of hair that encompasses all the hair on that side of the part. Begin to Dutch braid, incorporating hair form the loose hair hanging next to the other braid. This will act to create two parallel braids. 

3. Take all the remaining hair and create a braid. This is a very small French braid as there is not much scalp hair left to gather. 

TIP: This does not have to be a French braid, but you should still braid under so that all the braids look the same.

4.  Gather the two smaller braids (the ones not on the deep side of the part). Loop them around two fingers and begin to roll the hair up. Roll all the way up to the scalp and start securing with bobby pins. 

TIP: Apply your bobby pins with the curvy part along the scalp. Cross them, too! These two tricks will help keep the hair in place.

5. Take the last braid and drape it around the bun you’ve created. You can drape it along the top, along the bottom, across the bun; there are lots of options. Just place it where it looks most organic to the hairstyle. Again, secure with pins. 

6. Hairspray, concentrating on smoothing anyway fly away hairs.  

7. This step is optional, but an accessory is a great way to dress up this bun. You can use flowers, headbands, bows! You can also use a brooch. Just cross two bobby pins through the back of the brooch and then pin into the hair. This works best with a small brooch. 

TIP: Still want to use a larger brooch? Just use extra bobby pins to secure the brooch. This will add a very dramatic effect to the hairstyle and make it great for a formal occasion.

TIP: Make sure to add your accessory after you use hairspray. You don’t want to damage your accessory. 

You are now done with your lovely bun! Enjoy your hairstyle!  

Thanks for reading! AP

Hi! Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am sophomore Sociology/English major at Cal Lutheran University. This is my first year writing for Her Campus and I am very proud and excited to have joined the team. I aim to provide general lifestyle tips and ideas for my blog, as a means of making a campus dorm more homey. Thank you for reading!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!