This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I love bows! Honestly, they are my favorite hair accessories. They cover up awkward spots in the hair; add some flair to an outfit, and look plain cute! I find it really difficult, though, to find cute bows at local stores. Forever 21 and Claire’s have cute ones, but not unique ones. These stores are great for basic colors, but I like my bows to have a little something about them. Thus, I have made most of my own.

I store mine on a piece of ribbon pinned to the wall. Of the one’s pictured (I have others at home), I have made the leopard one, the cherry print one, the anchor print one, the CLU-colors one, as well as the floral combs. 

You will need a variety of supplies:

·      Pin-curl clip or barrette (something to attach the bow to so that it can be placed in the hair)

·      Needle and thread (thread that matches the ribbon color, but it’s not too important; you also don’t have to be a great sewer to do this)

·      Ribbon of your choice

·      Scissors

·      Hot glue gun

·      Ribbon flower or buttons (something to go into the center of your bow)

·      Lighter

·      Small clear elastic

1.     To begin cut a length of ribbon. To calculate the proper amount, fold the ribbon into the shape of the bow and leave about an extra inch of material. The extra material is there to allow for some wiggle ribbon. These are the two basic bow shapes I use.

Fold the ribbon into the shape you want your bow. Take a small clear elastic and wrap it around the center of the bow so as to keep that area pinched. Adjust the ribbon around the elastic so that it looks symmetrical. 

3.Now is the time to attach your flower or button. Simply sew on the item. Don’t worry about it being pretty! This is on the back of the hairpiece and perfection is not necessary. Security is, though. Be sure to sew the button into place very tightly.  

4. When that is done, sew the bow onto the barrette or pin curl clip. Again, this does not have to be perfect, just secure. 

5. Once this is done, use a hot glue gun to add extra security. Use a dot of glue to secure the edges of the bow to clip. Use an even tinier dot of glue to sure your flower or button into the proper position.

6. The final step should be done very carefully. Use a plain lighter, and over the sink (for safety), run the cut edges of the ribbon through the lighter. I cannot stress how careful you must be! Do not hold the ribbon in the flame for more than 3 seconds. The ribbon burns easily and this is a safety risk. Please be careful during this step. 

And those are your finished bows! There are endless options! They make great gifts! And please excuse my gross, bitten cuticles in the photos. 

Hi! Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am sophomore Sociology/English major at Cal Lutheran University. This is my first year writing for Her Campus and I am very proud and excited to have joined the team. I aim to provide general lifestyle tips and ideas for my blog, as a means of making a campus dorm more homey. Thank you for reading!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!