This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

For almost over a year now, I’ve considered buying a Nintendo Switch. However, the price always seemed daunting to me and I didn’t think I’d have any time to play with it in the first place. I was always busy; if I wasn’t busy, I told myself that I should be doing more productive things. However, seeing that I’ve saved enough money and that my birthday is coming up, my mother reminded me of the importance of ‘treating ‘yo self’ as a reward for all my hard work.

And with the world practically at a standstill, I finally have time to take it slow and have time for myself.  I thought that this was the opportune time to purchase a console and a game of my own!

However, everyone seemed to have the same idea of how to spend time in quarantine…

Ever since the first announcement of quarantine, there has been about a 75% rise in video game usage in the U.S. Social distancing has also led to a great surge of video game sales, which includes a timely new release that is heading the sales charts. You’ve probably heard of it or seen some adorable images floating around the internet….

Why, of course, I’m talking about Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Who isn’t?

Person holding game controller
Alex Carmichael

WHAT IS THE FUSS ABOUT ANIMAL CROSSING?

Animal Crossing is a beloved video game series that is basically a social and life simulator. The game follows the day to day life of your character, a human villager, engaging in a community inhabited by, you guessed, animals. Every day, you participate in simple activities such as gathering fruit, catching fish, designing your house, or keeping in touch with your neighbors to improve your community. Having said that, there are no stakes in this game. There is no one true way of winning or losing Animal Crossing. You are simply living your best life in a virtual world with your cute animal neighbors.

Due to stay-at-home orders and the prolific use the social media, a lot of people have been sharing and talking about this game — including celebrities like Brie Larson and Elijah Wood. In these times, it’s easy to see why a social and life simulator has captured the world: through it, we are able to live the lives we could have had if not COVID-19.

There is something that excites me when I see the virtual flowers in another player’s garden, especially when I cannot go out and fully enjoy spring. There is something fulfilling about seeing my brother explore his friends’ islands when they can’t see each other in school anymore. And there’s something absolutely satisfying about expanding and redecorating a home space when you’re getting tired of being stuck in the same room for weeks. And sometimes, that’s all I want to do all day rather than wonder when quarantine will end. 

However, more importantly, I believe the reason why Animal Crossing is so popular is the fact that it’s a no-stakes game. There is no way to win and there is no way to lose, thus eliminating the anxiety of needing to commit and play a game until it’s complete. To one, winning might mean planting all the fruit — to another, it might mean decorating their house top to bottom. The player gets to play at their own pace and define their own enjoyment. I think that the kind and flexible pace Animal Crossing moves at helps reiterate the fact that video game time is time to ‘treat yo’ self’.

Enrique Vidal Flores / Unsplash

HOW DO I GET INTO ANIMAL CROSSING?

Admittedly, that is the more stressful bit. With an influx of video game sales, there is a high demand for Nintendo Switch consoles to the point that big stores like Target and Best Buy stocks are always sold out. Believe me — I’ve tried. Too many times. And I’ve always been beaten to it.

Unfortunately, some have seen the rise in video game sales to be an opportunity for business. Some programmers have created an autobot that automatically buys stocks from big stores at its retail price of $299, only to resell them for $500 to $600 dollars. Even with an available stock, the price of a $299 console and a $59 copy of Animal Crossing isn’t a modest price. I know I was certainly intimidated by such a price point at first.

However, here are cheaper alternatives to Animal Crossing on the Nintendo Switch. A.K.A more low stakes games that help you take your mind off of things even just for a little bit.

My first recommendation is Stardew Valley. Many have compared this game to Animal Crossing itself in the sense that it’s a low-anxiety life simulator game. This one, however, has more focus on the farming and fishing aspect of the game with mechanics that are a little more complex than Animal Crossing. However, for $14.99 on Steam, you can purchase the game to play on your computer.  It has charming 8-bit graphics and plenty for you to do. This game truly hones in on the message of disconnecting for a while and living your life on a simple farm.

My second recommendation is Coffee Talk. Now this one is a little bit different from the first two games. Coffee Talk is a talking simulator in where you play as a barista in an urban fantasy world. In this game, you help brew up the orders of your customers while having engaging in conversation with them that varies from small talk to heart-to-heart moments. If you enjoy colorful characters, the sound of coffee brewing, and the calming mood of a rainy day, I think this is the game for you. Again, for $14.98, this game can easily be purchased on Steam and played on your computer.

Children inside
Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

I recognize that in a time of a pandemic, there are definitely more important issues at stake. However, caring for ourselves, whether physically, emotionally, or mentally, shouldn’t be the last of our priorities just because the world is at a standstill.  In a time where we’re all worrying about our health, our safety, and even our future, games like Animal Crossing invites us to take it easy and de-stress for even a few minutes or a few hours. For people like me who feel like they should be doing something more productive with their time… it reminds that having fun isn’t a waste of time if it used to allow ourselves to rest.

Nyle De Leon

Cal Lutheran '21

Born and raised in the Philippines, and then moved to California, Nyle is CLU English major with a creative writing emphasis. She loves everything that has to do with language, whether it be reading, writing or speaking -- you name it, she loves it. If not writing for herself or others, Nyle can be found talking about her favorite stories and shows, creating decent art, and maybe ice skating.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!