body images 2019 09 12 blur books close up 159866jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 09 12 blur books close up 159866jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Shadow and Bone: Read It Before You Watch It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

If you keep up with Netflix at all, you know that their multiple original series have been topping the charts for the past few years. From thrilling and captivating historical shows like The Queen’s Gambit, Bridgerton, and The Crown to Grittier, dramatic episodes of Stranger Things, The Witcher, and Rached, the streaming service has been dealing sensation after sensation. Netflix already has more seasons in the works, and they plan to line up several new shows this year, one of which I am very excited about. Shadow and Bone will be premiering in late April, and I want to give you three reasons why you should read the Grisha trilogy before watching the story come to life next month.

1. Fantastical Story Telling

Leigh Bardugo creates an amazing world full of daring outlaws, cunning rulers, and above all, powerful magic-wielders known as Grisha. She weaves a story around companionship and love, all while including excitement and action. I’m sure that the show will be thrilling, but I’m not exaggerating when I say that I finished the entire trilogy in two days. This story is dramatic and emotional, and it is so beautiful to see everything mold throughout the book series in a way the silver screen won’t be able to capture. Seriously, read these books; they are incredibly well written.

picking a book
Photo by Christin Hume from Unsplash

2. Tremendous Scene Building

Shadow and Bone takes place in a Russian inspired kingdom, Ravka, which is separated by a barren strip of wasteland called the Fold. It is so haunted by dark magic that demon-like creatures inhabit the area, searching for any prey that is unfortunate enough to cross into this terrifying plane. Bardugo’s visceral imagery brings this place to life, and the illustration she creates is so elaborate that the tv trailer’s depiction looked exactly how I imagined. I highly recommend painting a picture in your head before you see it on the screen – it makes it one hundred times more fulfilling to watch it come to life!  

3. Strong Female Leads

The story is centered on a young female heroine, Alina, who discovers her rare powers in a feat of desperation. She is a light-bringer, which is a school of magic that has not been seen for centuries. But her story is about growing into herself as much as it is about growing into her powers. Alina is courageous from the start, but she gradually becomes confident in who she has always been, and her strength is what ultimately defines her, not the magic. Her story is helped by two other strong Grisha women who become leaders in their own right. You’ll love these characters even more when you become familiar with them in the books.

Textbooks
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

I can’t rave about Shadow and Bone enough, but for now, I’ll leave you with three reasons why you should read the series. Leigh Bardugo has created an amazing universe of magic that is full of representative, dimensional, and lovable characters. It is one of my favorite book series ever, and I highly recommend checking it out before the show comes out. 

Alea Lehr

Cal Lutheran '21

A Biology major with a love for anything and everything in the ocean! Any time away from examining coral structures, wading through streams, looking at cells, or grappling immunohistofluorescence is spent reading, writing, and baking. (She has the best banana bread recipe) Though she mostly composes scientific papers, creative writing is her true passion, and when she isn't coming up with an article, she's jotting down ideas for novels. During a bad case of writer's block, she tries to find inspiration by talking to her best friend, and dog, Bear.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!