This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Life gets busier and more complicated as we grow up. We start juggling work, school, and other commitments. As a result, we sometimes forget to take care of our own bodies. Our bodies need to be nourished with love to help us have the energy for success. Being home during this pandemic has really helped me achieve this. I have learned to love myself a little more than what I used to. I learned that there really is no reason as to why we have to be so hard on ourselves. All this was due to self-care. Being home for so many months allowed me to search for ways that allowed me to feel so much better about the individual I am. These are some self-care ways that upped my self-esteem and I hope it helps you too.

Love yourself written on wall
Photo by Nicole De Khors from Burst/Shopify
Journaling:

Bad days exist and it is good for the body to release all the negativity in our bodies. Journaling is a great technique to write all about your feelings. It is a way in which you can allow yourself to express your emotions and thoughts. By journaling, I get to reread entries later on as months pass by and see how stronger I have gotten mentally. The best part about rereading old entries for one is to see how bad days are not permanent but temporary. 

I had trouble journaling at first because I did not know how to begin but I found that what works best for me is to just let my thoughts flow onto the paper. It’s all about picking up that pen and grabbing your favorite journal or piece of paper and letting you write what flows out. This is such a great tool for your mind to feel less crowded and allow yourself to feel better.

Removing Bad Habits and Bad People:

Taking a step back and noticing habits and people that bring your energy down was also a self-care tip that changed my life. I really had to think about what no longer made me happy and knew that by letting those things and people go was eventually going to benefit me in the long run. For example, I was always on my phone. I realized that wasted so much of my time, so I made a list of things I could do rather than being on my phone. The next part was extra hard on me. I had a lot of people in my life that drained me. Slowly walking out of their lives felt horrible because as much as you know you have to leave them, you also do not want to say goodbye to someone so close. However, it all gets better. I have met some pretty amazing people through clubs I have joined on campus. There will always be better people for one to surround ourselves with.

Spoiling Yourself:

I would like to emphasize how important it is to spoil yourself. Before, I never really spoiled myself with things that made me feel better. It was easier for me to spoil others and spend my money on them. Now if I am having a bad day, I know going out to buy some coffee and getting my nails done will help me feel better. There’s nothing wrong with going all out for yourself. Spoiling myself also meant getting ready and putting on makeup even if it was just to stay at home. Look good, feel good was what I have started to apply to my everyday life. When one feels good, one will be more confident about themselves and their tasks for the day.

Jazmin Quaynor / Unsplash

Let us never forget that we only get our body once so it is always good to remember to treat it with respect and love it so much. There will always be super tough days so remember to feel what you desire. Self-care is all about making your inner and outer self feel amazing. It is about building your self-confidence and facing the world with your head held up high.

My name is Wendy and I am a Sociology and Spanish major at California Lutheran University. I have lived in Ventura County all my life, making me a huge fan of the beach. I love to read on my down time, spend time with friends and workout. My love for writing began during quarantine where I found it to be a great way to express myself! I hope you enjoy my articles!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!