Regal Recipes: Passover Dessert!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Hello Recipe Lovers!

Usually I try to find recipes that are generally for all types of people. However, April has a special holiday coming up for me and I wanted to find a recipe that reflected somewhat the traditions I have celebrated. 

I celebrate the Jewish tradition of Passover. This being my first year away from home, I want to remind myself of the heritage I come from by writing about a dish that I can share with you all. 

Now for the recipe reveal! Drum-roll please!

We will be discussing Icebox Matzo Cake. This particular dessert features the ingredient of Matzo which looks and feels like a cracker. Really, it is a traditional Jewish bread that is served during the Passover. The story behind this ingredient is quite interesting: When the Jews were leaving Egypt, they didn’t have time to use yeast in their bread as it would take too long for the bread to rise and they needed to leave quickly. Thus, Matzo is just bread without yeast. Hey, you learn something new everyday!

Ingredients:

2 eggs

6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup of sugar

1 1/2 boxes of Matzo

2 sticks of butter

1 tsp. of milk

1 tsp. of prepared coffee (optional)

1 tsp. of rum extract (optional)

2 cups of grape juice or wine if you are daring. 

How to make the chocolate cream:

1. Using the mixer, combine the eggs, the butter, and sugar. Mix together until creamy.

2. In a saucepan, melt the chocolate chips with the milk. If you want to add the coffee and/or rum extract this is the step to add them in.

3. Combine the butter and chocolate mixtures together.

How to make the cake:

1.  Place a baking sheet down. 

2. Dip the matzo into the wine or grape juice. Then place on the cookie sheet and spread the chocolate mixture on the matzo piece.

3. Continue with the remaining matzos.

4.  Top and side the cake with the rest of the frosting.

5. Place into the fridge for a few hours or overnight until the cake is set.

Enjoy!

My name is Marisa Shlichtman and I am attending Cal Lutheran University where I will be studying theatre and communications. I love anything about theatre and have acted and directed before. I used to play soccer and still love the sport though I don't play anymore. This magazine is the first magazine I have written for but it sounds like an amazing opportunity to get involved within my campus and try something new.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!