Reality Check: Post 9/11 Misconceptions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

9/11 gave birth to new tensions across the United States of America. One of these tensions was the rise of white supremacists. This rise has given way to dangerous misconceptions among the American population in terms of race, cultural differences and religion. A group of people that were targeted post 9/11 in means of scapegoating were the Sikhs from the Punjab region in India. Sikhs were brutally sought out due to the misinterpretation of their religion.

In the Sikh religion men traditionally wear turbans. Dejectedly, Osama Bin Laden wore a turban during the attacks. Turbans are not necessarily a part of the Islamic faith. However, many are uninformed of the differences between Islam and Sikhism. Thus, many inflicted violence on the Sikhs.

In any case, it is wrong to assume that an entire race, culture, ethnic group, etc. is a part of the same ideology. No one should be persecuted for actions they did not commit.

What is Sikhism?

Image

Sikhism is a monotheistic religion and is centered on equality.

In the eyes of a Sikh there is no difference between people in terms of outward appearance or beliefs because all humans are human.

Sikhs gather at their temple, called gudwara, to worship and eat. They are not exclusive to their religion and welcome all. Sikhs believe in community and giving back to the community is a core element of this.

Here is a breakdown of the beliefs from Sikhism Guide:

·       Sikhs believe in one God. He is the same for all people of all religions.

·       Sikhism teaches equality of all people. Sikhism preaches that people of different races, religions, or sex are all equal in the eyes of God. Sikhism teaches the full equality of men and women.

·       Sikhism emphasizes daily devotion to the remembrance of God. One should remember God at all times.

·       Sikhism teaches religious freedom. All people have the right to follow their own path to God without condemnation or coercion from others.

·       Sikhism emphasizes a moral and ethical life. A Sikh should represent moral responsibility and righteousness.

·       Sikhism rejects all forms of rituals such as idol worship, pilgrimages, fasting, and superstitions.

·       Sikhism teaches service to others. The primary task in life should be to help the poor, needy, and oppressed. The Sikhs have a long heritage of speaking out against injustice and for standing up for the defenseless.

·       Sikhs are supposed to be saints, scholars, and soldiers.

·       The word Sikh means disciple or student. Sikhs are the disciples of God who follow the writings and teachings of the ten Sikh Gurus.

What events have taken place where Sikhs have been targeted post 9/11?

The Huffington Post released a piece in 2012 that lists 23 different hate crimes against Sikhs since 9/11 occurred.  One attack happened just four days after September 11th while others are more sporadic. Here are a few of the incidents:

Sept. 15, 2001 — Mesa, Ariz.: Four days after the infamous attacks of 9/11, Balbir Singh Sodhi, a 49-year-old Sikh, is shot and killed outside the gas station he owned by Frank Silva Roque. When police approached to arrest him, Roque says, “I’m a patriot and an American. I’m American. I’m a damn American.”

May 24, 2007 — Queens, N.Y.: A 15-year-old student has his hair forcibly cut by an older student at his high school. The scissor-wielding 17-year-old showed the Sikh a ring inscribed with Arabic, saying, “This ring is Allah. If you don’t let me cut your hair, I will punch you with this ring.” Afterward, he cuts the younger boy’s hair. A main pillar of the Sikh faith compels followers to keep their hair uncut.

Feb. 28, 2008 — Bryan, Texas: A Sikh man is assaulted in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Though the assailant called him a terrorist, punched him in the face and head and knocked his turban off, the Sikh man does not suffer major injuries.

Aug. 5, 2012 — Oak Creek, Wis.: A gunman is shot dead by police after he opened fire in a gurdwara during Sikh prayer services, killing six. 

What does it mean to be American?

The United States of America is a place that consists of freedom and justice for all! America is built on a society that was created by those who were oppressed by the British. Americans have the notion of independence. So why has this changed today? America is the mixing pot of all races. It is the safe haven for those who were violently persecuted in their own home countries. Being American does not strictly apply to those of the white race in the United States of America. America is for everyone regardless of race, culture, and religion.

It is our job to treat everyone the way we ourselves would want to be treated. We must be less ignorant to others in order to have a peaceful world. 

There is a group of Sikhs who are trying to bring to light the inhumanity of misconceptions of people post 9/11. They are doing so through stories that are posted on their website Unheard Voices of 9/11. Here is a story of one man who is both a white American and Sikh:

________________

Note: This article is the perspective and opinion of the author and does not reflect the views of Her Campus Cal Lutheran or Her Campus Media. Thank you!

Ali Nibarger

Cal Lutheran

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!